Bc And Fondant Help???

Decorating By lexismommy3 Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 5:50pm by Teekakes

lexismommy3 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 4

ok i'm new to decorating. Ive made a few cakes so far. I used the bc recipe from the wilton website and it was way too thin. When I tried to let it "crust" it never did, even after a few hrs and letting it sit in the fridge. the longer it sat the softer it got. I'm confused it there a different recipe for bc to crust? my next question is after the cake is decorated is it ok to put it in the fridge untill ready to be eaten or delivered?

also what is the recipe for making your own fondant???

thanks so much for any suggestions!!! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
terrylee Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 4

I'll give you a bump......I know there are several great BC recipes on this site and I'm sure someone will jump in......I don't use a BC icing.....sorry...

I use Satin Ice for my fondant....Wilton fondant.....ugh!!!!!

bashini Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 4

Hi, I recommend Sugarshack's bc. Here is the youtube link for you to see.

And for the fondant, it got to be Michele Fosters fondant, which I really like. And the other one is Marshmellow Fondant. i have made this before. I don't like it as it is too sweet for me. You can find it in the recipe section.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Teekakes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 4

Although the wilton bc recipe is not my recipe of choice, it does make up nicely and crusts over well in my past experiences with it. Maybe you got to much liquid in it?

I too recommend Sugarshacks recipe, it is all I use now for my basic buttercream. Link already supplied for you.
Fondant.....I make my own 100% of the time and have found Michelle Fosters recipe to be unbeatable if you want to make your own. Link to Michelles recipe;
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-23-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

The only time you need to refridgerate a decorated cake is if the filling or other items require it to keep from spoiling. Buttercream, fondant, gumpaste, the cake do not require being kept cold.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%