Getting A Flat Top

Decorating By MeliaJ Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 7:04pm by burleigh12

MeliaJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeliaJ Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 12

I need help! icon_biggrin.gif Every cake I make that I cover with Fondant the top of hte cake still seems to have a bit of rounding to it. I level the cake before icing, but still get some what of a dome effect. WHat am I doing wrong or how can I fix?

Thanks
Melia

11 replies
burleigh12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
burleigh12 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 12

Hi Melia! Are you putting a lot of icing on the cake before you attach the fondant? That was my biggest mistake when I first started working with fondant. You only need a smear coat of buttercream...just enough to make the fondant stick. If you put too much buttercream on, it will make the fondant poof out. Does that make sense? Good luck, and practice, practice, practice!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 12

Are you making sure that the icing is level as well? Maybe you are adding too much on the top before you are covering in fondant. Just a thought...

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 12

I always make sure the icing is level before I put on the fondant. I reuse the cake leveler to make sure. It's a little messy, but it gives me an idea how level the icing is!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 12

Well, the weight of the fondant will round the edge of the cake. Is that what you're seeing?

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 12

Good Question!!

I recently started using a bench scraper across the top after smoothing the BC.
Are you letting the cake completely dry before covering with fondant? Like 3-4 hours?

Good Luck!! thumbs_up.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 12

Also make sure your cake is chilled. when you start forming the fondant on a cake that is not thoroughly chilled, the corners of your cake and be smashed down slightly because you're pressing and stretching the fondant. remember cake is smooshy, not rock hard, it will give under pressure. If you chill the cake thoroughly, the icing will harden a bit and won't give as much. Again with the pressure, don't be too rough with the cake when applying fondant. Gently is the key.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 12

Hi, I always make sure the bottom of the cake is up. That is after you level the cake, turn it upside down. So there is a nice flat top for you to work with. And I agree with the others. Don't put a lot of buttercream under fondant. And a bench sraper is a very good tool have too! icon_smile.gif

burleigh12 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 12

This may be a silly question, but what is a bench scraper?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 12

That is not silly at all. Here is a link for you to see.

http://www.cheftools.com/prodinfo-new.asp?number=02-0631

icon_smile.gif

MeliaJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeliaJ Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 6:37pm
post #11 of 12

Yes, I am probably putting too much icing on top icon_redface.gif

When I put the fondant on, I dont typically wait any length of time, usually 1-2 hrs, or sooner depending on what I'm doing.

And I do flip my cake so the bottom is the top, I did learn that icon_lol.gif

Yep, my corners to do look rounded. Is there a cure for me? I wil try less icing on top and letting the BC set longer.

I have a birhtday cake (hubby is turning 30!) and shower cake for next week I'd like to make dome-less icon_rolleyes.gif

burleigh12 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:04pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks bashini!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%