Out Of Flower Picks - What Else Can I Use? Need Help Quick

Decorating By charleezgal Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 4:52pm by cas17

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 9

I have a cake due in 48 hours and can't find my flower picks. Is there anything else I can do/use to add my fresh flowers the the cake?

Teresa

8 replies
miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 9

Drinking straws.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sweetstory

Drinking straws.

Seconded thumbs_up.gif !

charleezgal Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 9

You guys are so awesome. I never thought of using straws. Do you have to close off the bottom so cake doesn't go up inside?

Teresa

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 9

You'd think that would be a good idea, it can't hurt. But on the other hand wouldn't the cake that goes inside the straw come back out when you pull the straw out? If you've ever worked with hollow support dowels, you know what I'm talking about.

charleezgal Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 9

I'm not sure. My thinking was that the straw would fill up with cake and so there would be no room to insert the flower stem. ??? Any ideas?

Teresa

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 9

What if you inserted the flower into the straw before putting the straw in the cake? That could prove problematic.

I would just seal the end of the straw and be done with it. You can do it by pinching the end and melting it with a lighter/candle/stove burner/etc. Pinching it should also leave the end nice a sharp so it's easy to push in.

Good luck!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 9

I use straws for wire sprays and as dowelling, and when you insert them only a minimal amount of cake enters the straw, you will still have plenty of room for whatever you are putting in there!

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:52pm
post #9 of 9

maybe you could push the straw in then pull it out and clean out the cake, reincert into the cake, put in a little chocolate to seal the bottom then put in the flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%