What Airbrush To Buy?

Decorating By kello Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 9:34pm by Ayanami

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 12

I've decided to give airbrushing a try....never have used one, but looks like fun. I know nothing about airbrushing and was wondering where do I start? What is the best one to purchase and does anyone know of any in Canada? (first choice, but willing to pay extra from U.S.)
What will I need to get started?
I appreciate any help or advice!

11 replies
volleyball47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
volleyball47 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 12

how much are airbrushes?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 12

For an airbrush, I believe the "gold standard" is Paasche. You need to buy a compressor also?

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 12

Try airbrushcity.com

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 12

Leahs, I like seeing your post I have just a question for you, could you tell me the web site to find the air brush or can this be bought at Michales, also where do you purchase your paints. I am looking for all colors, I would also like to know do you paint on your fondant ( not the air brush) if you do what kind of paint do you use. I have looked on some sites for edible paint but I am not sure what to look for. I would appreicate any advice, Also will a compressor affect the spray pattern ( I would think it would) so are ther different typs of compressors that will give me a nice even spray pattern. Thanks for the help I appreicate your comments

candice1988 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candice1988 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 12

I also have a question. Do you have to buy a specific cake airbrush or can you just use a standard airbrush machine?

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 12

I too am very interested in this thread. I have been looking at the airbrushes from Michael's (solely because I have a 50% of coupon). They range in price from $30-$150 BEFORE the discount (not including a compressor). I figured I'd buy the compressor from Harbor Freight locally as everything there is reasonably priced. I just don't know if any airbrush works, etc etc etc. I'm also curious about an art projector. I've heard kopykake is great, but I'm a hobby caker and can't drop $300. I bought a $30 one and now know why those can't be used (only giant poor quality images, not small ones). I also want one that can project on sides or tops of cakes. Sorry for the long post! Thanks!!

leah_s Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 12

Seriously, now, did you Google Paasche? Because their website comes right up.

As far as I know there really isn't an airbrush made for cakes, and they all work the same way. Your choices are for a single action or double action and between gravity feed and bottom feed. Best choices are double action and bottom feed. Double action gives you a lot of control (once you learn to use it) and bottom feed means you are not stuck with an open cup of color sitting on top of your brush, making it difficult to set down.

There is what I'll call an airbrush kit available from KopyKakes that works fine for a beginner or a hobbyist. Be sure to get the red one though because the black one has virtually no air pressure. Check Ebay as they are on there with some regularity.

As far as air pressure goes, just make sure it can be regulated easily. Buy the most compressor you can afford. That's not where to skimp.

For painting directly on fondant using edible paints, frankly the vast majority of people mix up their own paint using dusts and a clear alcohol based medium such as vodka or clear vanilla. BakeryCrafts also makes RTU gold, silver and pearl glazes, that while a bit thin, could conceivably be used for painting. It is also possible to use air brush paint with a brush, or even mix gel color with a clear alcohol based medium.

As for art projectors, yes the good ones are in the $300 range.

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 12

Leahs: Do you think I could use the $300 projector from michaels? With the 50% coupon it's doable. Also, is this necessary? I really want to paint (like painting paint) my cakes, but have no skill. I even have terrible handwriting. I don't mind buying it, but as a hobby...this is $$$. Thanks!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:58pm
post #10 of 12

The aztek 470 is a great airbrush, is dual action and has a side cup with a lid that can be used on the left or the right. There is no needle to bend or replace and has several diffedernt nozzles for different spray patterns. I compared the finished product to kopykake and it's far superior. Do a google search and find the best price.

leah_s Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 12

I really can't advise you on the projector. I don't use one, although I think DH hs one int he house. He's a fine artist and professor of studio art and art history.

Hmmm . . .I may have to check into that Aztec 470. I'd like to have an airbruh without a needle!

Off to Google it.

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:34pm
post #12 of 12

I received the (red) KopyKake by airmaster system for Chirstmas & I love it. I am just an obessionist though (I refuse to be called a hobbiest icon_twisted.gif ) though I do sell cakes to friends of friends and such. My MIL got my AB system thru Sugar Craft . com & she got me a couple of books too. Didn't really read the books too much cause I'm impatient. I just started fiddling with it till I figured it out. So far I have only done all over coloring, no handwriting or detailed pictures. I do like the fact that I can make a whole batch of white RI flowers & store them away for future use, then when I need some of a certian color, I can just AB them whatever color I want. I have AB'd color flow, MMF, BC & gumpaste too. It's loads of fun. The AB that I have doesn't have a lot of overspray either, so I don't have to worry about color getting everywhere when I use it. If you get the KopyKake you will only have to cover your worksurface & maybe the wall behind the work surface to be safe.

Probably more info than you were looking for at this moment. icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%