Excited And Nervous...how Do You Guys Do It?!?!?

Business By michellesArt Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 8:40pm by todolomio

michellesArt Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 5

i've just got two big inquires in the past couple of days and i am anxiously awaiting the yes-how do you all stand it?!?! i'm on the smaller side of things (at home) but this is bigger than i have ever had before!! okay i'll explain. first order is from a referal and she would like 300 cookies for valentine's day (thank you very much lori icon_smile.gif ) the second is a wedding cake (very simple but she fell in love with a zoe clark design i showed her-explaining that i cannot make exact replicas-i'm not zoe clark) i'm not so anxious over the cake (months away) but obviously the sooner i can start on the cookies (even though they are fairly simple) the better... it's a good thing i work parttime as well, that will help distract me.

4 replies
dawnnb Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 5

Congratulations and good luck! I am homebased as well, it feels great to get the orders. I find the lulls in between the hardest lol!!

SweetOccasionCakes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 5

Congrats on your orders and don't worry, I know just how you feel! I love to plan but then when the planning is done all that's left is to WAIT! I don't do LOTS of orders, but I have a few every month or so and I wonder... if I had more would I worry less or more? There would be less time to worry, but more to really worry about! LOL! It's all so confusing! In the end I try not to worry at all! Good luck and I can't wait to see pics of both orders!

KHalstead Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 5

you would worry less with more orders.......I used to plan out cakes for weeks....as soon as someone ordered it, it was all I could think about.....I would sit an draw sketches of it over and over and couldn't wait until it was finally close enough to the date to start making the stuff out of gumpaste and stuff that had to go on the cake.......then I started to get busy....really busy!!!! So busy in fact that I was doing around 10 cakes every week ( I work m-w and have 3 kids also) and there wasn't as much time to plan......at first it was really exciting but then I started to get burned out and it started to annoy me that I was never able to sleep in on a Saturday because of deliveries and all the all-nighters just about killed me!!! I'm having a lull right now in orders (well....paying orders anyhow...lots of donation orders though) and I'm enjoying every second of it. I got to a point where I would drag my feet as long as possible getting around to baking the cakes ( I never did like to bake though.....just to decorate). Hopefully once I start getting orders again I will be excited like I used to be. I'd much rather just do a couple wedding cakes a week and be done with it honestly. I think I'm just getting sick of the whole "sheet cake" thing...ugh. I am not good at decorating those (and if you look in my photos you'll see I get a lot of those orders yuck!)
I've been selling cakes for almost a year now and I would say more than 2/3 of my orders are stupid sheetcakes!

todolomio Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 5

That is so exciting I also got a big cake order (butterflies in my stomach) But, I was so anxious...waiting and waiting and waiting... and then She dropped by with the contact and deposit!!! But it is nerve recking and a long wait!!!! Good luck with your order and that all goes well with your order.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%