Cake Ball Idea- Day Olds

Decorating By harrisonsmama Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 2:22pm by harrisonsmama

harrisonsmama Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:52am
post #1 of 5

I have just been hired and the Executive Designer at a new bake shop. I was thinking that i could use day old cupcake for cake balls- frosting and all. do you all think the cake would get to dry to do this? I thought it woudl be a good way to eliminate some waste, provide something at a lower price range and a smaller bite size remedy for a sweet tooth/ Whatcha think?

4 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 5

since you're using a liquid (flavored half and half) to bind the cake crumbs into balls, you shouldn't have to worry about the cake being dry. Anyways, even if it's only a day old, keep the scraps properly covered. They shouldn't dry out too bad.

Making cake balls is an EXCELLENT way to cut down on waste. I've heard a few bakers throw them in for free when someone orders a carved cake. I've considered offering them alone as well. Think of the money you could make with them! Super cheap and delicious. Perfect medium for someone who may not want a whole fancy cake, but thinks cupcakes are too basic or plain.

kakeladi Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 5

......since you're using a liquid (flavored half and half) to bind the cake crumbs into balls,........

I don't. Usually the cake is moist enough that just a bit of icing is all that's needed.
To original poster: go for it. A great way to up sales; cut waste and introduce a new producticon_smile.gif

cakesmade4u Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 5

I think it's the perfect way to use the scraps even add some small design as decoration or roll in walnuts mini Choco chips endless with them I like the idea of giving with a carved cake... You can freeze them to in freezer bags before dipping. Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

harrisonsmama Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 5

I made some from leftover cake (3 days old) and they were fabulous. My boss loved them and loved the idea about cutting down on waste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%