Smash Cake Questions

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 5:50am by dandelion56602

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 6:22am
post #1 of 11

I am wondering what size you guys make a smash cake?

Do you do a double layer?

How much do you charge---same price per serving as a regular cake?

And if there is any more info. Just wondering.

10 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 6:34am
post #2 of 11

I offer smash cakes with 1st bd cakes....free if I choose the size and design. If they want to dictate what the smash cake looks like, I consider it an order and charge according to the design. They are never larger than a 6" single layer....sometimes, it's an approximate 4" double layer...sometimes it's more detailed...just depends on the overall theme, inspiration, and freedom to create I'm given. I don't advertise that they're free. If the customer asks about it, I let inform them of the above details. If they don't ask, I inform them that it is available and give them the above details.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:21am
post #3 of 11

I agree with the idea that it should depend on what the customer wants (or what you decide, if you are offering it for free like all4cake), but within the guidelines of up to 6" max. I have seen people even just use an oversized cupcake.

I like the look of a tall cake (it looks more like a miniature "normal" cake) so the one I did was a 2-layer 4" cake. Actually the cake shrunk a bit so it was more like 3-1/2"...which I thought was perfect. Here it is http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1299738 although there is not much of a reference for size. The other reason I like the double layer is, let's face it, lots of times the kid doesn't even smash the cake, they often barely touch it...leaving a mostly intact mini cake for the parents to eat. Might as well look pretty on the inside icon_smile.gif.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:19am
post #4 of 11

I normally use a 4 inch pan(3 inch high) and make it all cake. I haven't had many filling requests. I normally match it to go along with the theme of the large cake...but only ever use buttercream to cover since fondant wouldn't be as fun. I have also done 6 inch, but 9 times out of 10 I do the 4 inch, and I charge $10.00 for it. Although I do have a policy that if they get their baby shower cake from me they get that for free. Hope this helps!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 11

When I was at the bakery, we used a 1 layer 7" round for smash cakes, very simply decorated (iced in white BC with a simple top border, some icing "confetti" and the BD child's name).

Now that I just do cakes at home for friends and family I generally just make a smash cupcake.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 11

I do 4" single layer, in my opinion a one year old doesn't need a big cake. Just something to destroy and eat a few bites of. I usually don't charge if they order a large cake. I decorate it pretty simple with a number one with the same colors as the big cake. If they order a theme cake (elmo or something) I will put a small elmo face on it.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 11

I've only done 3 smash cakes, and coincidentally they were all the same cake! I baked a single layer smallest oval pan (7 3/4") and decorated to look like Elmo's face (with fondant eyeballs, nose, and mouth, buttercream facial hair). I charged $5 on the first one because the girl was turning 2 and I believe in free smash cakes for the first birthday, not subsequent. The other 2 smash cakes I baked & decorated the exact same way as the first, but they were both free because they were twin girls turning 1 and I'm not gonna be *that* stingy to my client! She even sent me a picture the day after to show me the girls smashing their cakes! I've never had a client do that before and so it meant a lot!

I always offer complimentary smash cake with the purchase of a guest cake at regular price (and i price per serving). If i was asked to do a design on a smash cake, I would still do it as long as it wasn't too complex, but a smash cake is for a child and it's usually a cartoon character and pretty simple to do. So, i don't foresee myself charging for a smash cake because of the design. I would only charge in cases such as the first smash cake i did. Who knows, though-I get weird orders all the time and one day may need to charge, but today this is how i do it! hope it helps you!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 11

Here are some cakes with smash cakes that I've done......I pretty much do like all4cake......I use a 4" round.....it's 2" high I believe. I don't torte or fill.......the only thing they can choose is what flavor they want. I don't advertise that the smash cakes are free and I design them to match the cake. I will take a customer's input on what they "want" it to look like....but so far nobody has bothered and I've just designed them "to match". I'm sure if I advertised that they were free everyone's birthday would be their "first" birthday...so I don't even mention it until someone says "oh and can you write, Happy 1st birthday on it?" then I say....."sure, and we also offer a complimentary matching smash cake for your son/daughter. They're usually so thrilled at the idea they don't bother to say what "they want" as far as design. Normally I make them out of white/ yellow cake because it doesn't stain clothes like chocolate cake when you smoosh it all over you lol.
If someone orders a 4" cake in addition to a birthday cake however.....they pay regular price, unless they happen to mention it's a first birthday.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly4481

I do 4" single layer, in my opinion a one year old doesn't need a big cake. Just something to destroy and eat a few bites of. I usually don't charge if they order a large cake. I decorate it pretty simple with a number one with the same colors as the big cake. If they order a theme cake (elmo or something) I will put a small elmo face on it.

This is exactly what I do.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 11

I do a large cupcake or 4" layer..... same theme as the cake and no charge....

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:50am
post #11 of 11

Thanks gals. I'm asking for future purposes. I'd never though about a smash cake until my SIL asked if I would make my niece one & was wanting to pay. I said $8 for a 4" & $12 for a 6" (mainly b/c I will put more into it than just a plain decoration---b/c my niece needs something cute to smash icon_wink.gif ). But my SIL said she's making cupcakes for everyone else. I've almost thought about offering to make the cupcakes for the party as my "gift"--know what I mean?

But thanks for the input. i guess in the future if someone just wants a smash cake I would charge my reg price.

ETA: cute cakes BTW

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%