Help!!!!! Making A Cake And It Is Falling

Decorating By erikamj Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 1:41pm by -K8memphis

erikamj Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:39am
post #1 of 8

I am making a white chocolate cake and my 12" and 10" round cakes both have fallen in the center around the heating core. The pans are 4" high everthing goes smoothly until the last 10 minutes of baking and then the cake falls in the center.
I cooked them at 325 degrees have one heating core in the middle of each pan and have bake even strips around the outside.

This is for a wedding this weekend and I don't know how to fix the problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

7 replies
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:58am
post #2 of 8

What's the recipe?

I think baking at too low a temperature can be a problem. I mean you have to give it enough heat.

But there could be any number of things to trouble shoot though.

How much batter do you have in there?

How long have they been in the oven?

The baking strips add moisture and prolong baking.

erikamj Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:13am
post #3 of 8

Its a recipe from allrecipes. I have never tried this recipe before (this cake is a favour for a customre of my husbands; long story).
The recipe states that it is a heavy cake so I am thinking it might just be too heavy and that it kind of collapses on itself. I had the pans only half full.
I am trying the 10" with just half the amount and I have turned the oven up to 350. I am thinking I might just need to make it 2 2" layers as opposed to one 4" layer. They lady wants it torted anyway so I would just fill in between the two layers.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:24am
post #4 of 8

I was gonna say to maybe try & bake a cupcake or something small & see how things turn out. It might be a fluke in the fromula.

An idea for you is to check the wilton wedding cake serving chart and see how many cups of batter they recommend for each pan.

So you had two full inches of batter. That's a lot of stuff to heat up, then add in the extra moisture and the lower heat.

I'm guessing it has baking powder? I mean different ovens cycle differently so it might not have been keeping enough heat in there?

I mean I am guessing.

Around the heating core. Hmm that's kinda strange. Might be a formula issue.

Did you substitute anything? But I mean a lot of recipes that are printed will never produce a good product. Not trying to be a downer--I'm just tossing out possible ideas.

Hopefully this one will be fine.

erikamj Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:38am
post #5 of 8

thanks for the suggestions. You aren't being a downer I really don't know what to do. I did make the 6" cake and that came out just fine.

I did check on the wilton site for the cups of batter and used that amount and turned the oven down to 325 (I had the oven at 350 for the 6"). This time I have turned the oven back to 350 and have half the amount in the pan so I am testing to see if it falls still or not when it is this large.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:50am
post #6 of 8

Got my fingers crossed for yah!

erikamj Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:14am
post #7 of 8

Well the bride absolutely loved the cake. in the end it came out really well and everybody raved about the cake.

thank you for your ideas and just to be a sounding board when i was frustrated!

-K8memphis Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:41pm
post #8 of 8

Quote by @%username% on %date%