What Type Of Cake Do You Make For Your Kids?

Decorating By toricp Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 7:22am by lostincake

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:38pm
post #31 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

lol-my kids plan it, I make it happen icon_lol.gif My oldest daughter's bday won't be for a little while and she's already planning it all out, she wants a 'Labryinth' themed cake! I don't think I can make the Goblin King but Sarah, the worm and Ludo should be easy...and cool!!

Someone did the worm recently... it was adorable... http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1304135.html

I LOVE Bowie... I've been to a couple of his concerts... the last time I was in the front row of the mosh pit... oh, man... great t imes!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:38pm
post #32 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

icon_lol.gif Reminds me of my ex .... he told me once that I didn't have to make a "whole meal" for dinner. I could make something simple. Like some fried chicken. And pototoes. with gravy. Maybe some corn. And biscuits. But not a whole meal ... that was too much work.

Thats my husbands favorite meal, and I don't know about anyone else but that one takes forever to make, I start cooking at about 3pm and if we are lucky we can eat by 6:30pm. And that's with 3 cast iron skillets going at the same time!
But it is so good, it's worth all that work!

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:51pm
post #33 of 71

My kids have really gotten into the cake design the last couple of years. This last time around my 11yo chose a design that took me *forever* to complete. In reality, I think it was about 6 hours from start of baking to completion, but it seemed forever. *lol* That is the Neo the Magic Swordsman cake in my photos section.

Then... a month later, my 18yo decides to see if he can get something more challenging... He succeeded. He chose to have a book... and brought me his D&D manual. That one took me 8 hours. *lol* I had to design and cut out fondant pieces and figure out how to write on it without having food coloring pens. This one was quite a learning experience, but now I think I can do a book in less time the next time... if there is a next time.

I think what started it was hubby... back in Oct. he finally, for the first time ever, requested a special decorated cake. He ended up with a Thomas the Tank Engine cake. *lol* I ought to upload that one. It was cute.

Yep... I tend to go all out on the cakes... but we have not had many parties for the kids.

Daisy135 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy135 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:55pm
post #34 of 71

Planning & decorating my daughter's 1st bday cake ignited my decorating obsession. She's chosen the party theme every year since she was 2 and I design the cake. Her 4th bday is in a month and this year we've discussed cake ideas (high school musical theme ;-( and I let her pick out some of the details. My son will be 1 in a few weeks and his theme is baseball mostly b/c my DH is a coach & sports fanatic.

Their birthdays are Feb. 21 (DS) and Mar. 3 (DD)...what was I thinking having during the same time of year! So much cake work to do in so little time. Anyway, I will probably continue to go all out. So far, DD has had a two-tiered caked and a smash cake every year! I also did my only nephew's 1st bday cake last May (farm theme) and am planning to offer again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

lol-my kids plan it, I make it happen icon_lol.gif My oldest daughter's bday won't be for a little while and she's already planning it all out, she wants a 'Labryinth' themed cake! I don't think I can make the Goblin King but Sarah, the worm and Ludo should be easy...and cool!!

Awesome! Can't wait to see what you come up with. How old is your daughter? My almost 4 yo daughter LOVES the movie. She's been watching it w/ me since she was 2 1/2. DH didn't see it as a kid and thinks it's...gasp....weird...I know how dare he! LOL

JensAddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JensAddiction Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:09pm
post #35 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritedArtist

Planning & decorating my daughter's 1st bday cake ignited my decorating obsession.

This is exactly how it happened for me! My daughter is getting ready to be 3, and we haven't decided yet what sort of cake she's getting, but I always go all out for her. Can't help it. icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:10pm
post #36 of 71

Gasp is right... Labryinth is one of the best movies evah... and The Neverending Story too.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:12pm
post #37 of 71

I try to give my kids whatever they ask for. They are so great and patient with me when it comes to cakes, that I look through photos with them and let them pick out whatever design they want.
My 3 yr old DD last year picked out Wall-E. He was very difficult to make, but made her incredibly happy.
My son, poor thing, wanted a cool Spiderman Cake that I totally goofed on. I tried the Whimsical Bakehouse chocolate transfers for the buildings, and they melted in the sun. The good thing about him, though, was that he was thrilled with it anyway. The year before that he got the Pirate Cake, which is one of my most popular designs!

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:14pm
post #38 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevie

My kids....they want cupcakes..I'm a cupcake hater. My husband..I asked what kind of cake he wanted and he said....no cake...it's too much work for you...how about a Coconut Cream Pie? icon_eek.gif Well, sure, let me whip one of those up for you, after all, my maiden name is Mrs. Smith... icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_lol.gif Reminds me of my ex .... he told me once that I didn't have to make a "whole meal" for dinner. I could make something simple. Like some fried chicken. And pototoes. with gravy. Maybe some corn. And biscuits. But not a whole meal ... that was too much work.

Geesh, I guess I should be glad he didn't want a freakin' turkey!! icon_eek.gif

This is so funny. I thought these were conversations that only happened at my house. Glad to know I'm not alone. icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:33pm
post #39 of 71

When they were little I decorated whatever they wanted. Then I realized that this is work and everybody was ok with 9x13's served from the pan with whatever candle I could find.

The-en I got laid off and I thought well shoot I'll blow her away with a custom birthday cake. Her being my now 29 years old, aka the Red-headed Girl. And she loved it but the camera din work--story of my life. So I did another one for graduating with her first Master's.

Then Chef-boy was always away at school but I finally got to do one for him.

But each cake was laden with special nostalgiac things, like the Red-headed Girl's fave pink gingham blanket. Chef-boy's had plenty of chef knives (fondant) and a bicycle since he was a semi-pro--stuff like that.

So we'd prolly be back to 9x13's now. Or into some kinda gourmet foodie cake or dessert with light decor.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:39pm
post #40 of 71

I always let my two daughters pick something from the Wilton annuals. Fortunately, they never picked anything I couldn't (more or less) execute. My granddaughter, never at a loss for ideas of her own, has had Tigger, a doll, Cinderella, Madagascar, Ariel and "el Soots" (a Mexican cartoon character - check out "La gruta del alux" on youtube to see who he is). Well, actually I picked the first two, and now that she's going to be 7, I'm going to surprise her with a very detailed beach scene. I've always made a super-sized sheet cake (don't know the measurementes but it holds 5 cake recipes and yet bakes very well) using the same recipe (called a 1-2-3-4 cake with a ton of vanilla and almond extract). This year I'm trying something new - don't know what yet, but I'm tired of making the same old cake.
I've never posted a cake to this site because, for one, I'm new and for another, I'm a lousy photographer and my cakes until now have been really uneven and not all that good-looking. But I'm into this in a big way now, thanks in no small part to CC, so as soon as a I have a chance to make another cake (several coming up in February). I have great cakes planned for the whole family this year! Next year, they can all put in their orders, but for now I need the practice.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:40pm
post #41 of 71

I tend to go all out for my kids too. I started taking cake decorating courses so I could make my oldest's 1st birthday cake. I have let the kids pick out their cakes since they were 2. It is fun and a suprising challenge at times. LOL. A few months before my daughter`s last birthday she drew a picture and brought it to me -- I asked what it was and she said -- ``MOM -- That is how you are going to make my birthday cake -- I want a beach with water and a lifeguard chair and a tent trailer and .....`` I thought oh boy that is a lot for one cake but would have done my best to do it -- however when she found out I booked her party at a petting zoo she decided she wanted a zoo cake instead and she loved what I came up with. My son wanted a train cake for his second and lightening Mcqueen for the past 2 years. This last birthday he brought me his ``white lightning`` and said he wanted that car made out of cake. LOL. My first carved cake ever but it turned out pretty well. It is fun. I love the challenge of making something for them as they are often more creative with their ideas than I am. I also love that they still remember and talk about their cake a year later.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:42pm
post #42 of 71

Ah, my kids are my most demanding customers; my "Birthdayzillas" as it were. They know what is possible, so they want their cakes to me the most elaborate, most detailed....and the want to micromanage every little thing, LOL!

They always get a decorated cake for their birthdays, some fancier than others. Sometimes they pick out the exact cake they want, but most of the time they just pick the theme and I figure out the design. The last two years I've had wedding close to my duaghter's birthday, and just designed her cake using the same flowers to make it easier on myself. They always pick the flavors, though I'll make suggestions.

Starting with my daughter's first bithday, she's had the following: teddy bear, Elmo, 3-D basket of kittens, carosel, 3-D jack o'lantern (her b'day is close to Halloween), jungle animals, 3-D rubber duckie, race track w/chocolate cars, lady bugs on a flower shaped cake, ocean-themed cake w/white chocolate shells, coral, and fondant pearls; skateboarder on a quarter-pipe, 3-tiered chocolate mosaic tile with fall flowers and butterflies (in my pics, her grandest cake to date), and a 2-tiered with embossed chocolate fondant and gp fall leaves, acorns, and pumpkins.

My son has had: simple round with figure piped bear and balloons, 3-D school bus, 3-D Thomas the train & Clarabelle, 2-tiered cake w/3-D FRosty the Snowman (in my pics), T-rex skeleton, and Shaun the Sheep (in my pics).

For other family members, I used to do decorated cakes, but with adults you run out of ideas fast, so now they usually just get a simple cake from either me or our mom, unless an idea comes to me.

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:45pm
post #43 of 71

I dont have have kids but I have neices nephews and "cousin kiddos"-- my cousins' kids. I go all out. They get to pick the them and the flavor. The rest is up to me. Last week my cousin kiddo Ari asked for Strawberry Shortcake in the jungle. icon_confused.gif Last year it was Spongebob and the Disney Princesses at the beach icon_confused.giftapedshut.gif Her sister Amber want a guitar like Hannah Montana but with Amber Anne written like HM's lettering and with her picture instead of HM. icon_cry.gif I love that they think I have a red cape under my apron.

My neice Daji is turning 7 in April. She is the diva in the bunch. She wants a music industry star themed party and cake. We are still in the sketching stage of cake plans. The kids cakes and parties are a lot of work but I love, love, love to do it!!!!

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:46pm
post #44 of 71

Last year, DD wanted ladybug cupcakes for her 3rd bday, so I came up with this:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1227617
It was very simple to make but she loved it!

My kids are only 1, 2, and 3, though...so they aren't picky. In fact, no matter what weird looking stuff I come up with, they are always impressed!

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:49pm
post #45 of 71

My daughter is turning 4 in March, and she is sure to tell me at least 10 times a day, "Mommy, I want a pink castle cake for my birthday!".

Sooo, a pink castle it is! icon_biggrin.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:55pm
post #46 of 71

My boys are 8 and 6, and I do whatever they want. My 8 year old knows that the sky is the limit, and last year chose a 3D tank that shot flames 3 feet out of the gun. My 6 year old picks based on what he likes that year, and I go all out with the theme, but my older son is usually very specific about what he wants!

Daisy135 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:57pm
post #47 of 71

DS is about to be 1 and I am hoping that boys are less picky than girls. DD picks her party theme each year. There have been times that I tried to sway her so that I could do a different cake but she never budged. Please tell me that for the most part boys are less picky & stubborn than girls (at least in regards to parties & cakes)...LOL!

I just saw some Sesame Street cupcakes that are adorable and I eventually want to make them for DS. Hopefully we'll be able to do SS theme for his 2nd bday since his 1st is so close & already planned.

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:03pm
post #48 of 71

messy_chef (love the name by the way) those lady bug cupcakes are adorable!!! Have you ever seen the cake wrecks blog? She hates cupcake cakes--you should send that in and show her that, done right, they can be very cute!!!!

teswade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teswade Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:10pm
post #49 of 71

I do not have any kids but I cannot wait for my neice and nephews birthdays to come. I let them look through the Wilton yearbooks and pick out what they want. This year I may just have them look through the galleries here to pick one.

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:11pm
post #50 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilikina_24

messy_chef (love the name by the way) those lady bug cupcakes are adorable!!! Have you ever seen the cake wrecks blog? She hates cupcake cakes--you should send that in and show her that, done right, they can be very cute!!!!

Haha, thanks! Yeah, I hit up cakewrecks everyday for my morning laugh. I understand where she is coming from with all that icing, though!

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm
post #51 of 71

I'm terrible!! Since I've been doing cakes; I haven't made any of my 3 kids a cake for their birthday!! icon_cry.gif I'm too tired, so, I just buy them one!!!

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:14pm
post #52 of 71

I'll do whatever my son wants. He recently chose the monster cake from Debbie Brown's book for his 13th birthday. It's posted to my photos. Last year I did a soccer ball for him, but I forgot my camera to take a picture of it. My nieces will probably get more and more complicated now that they see what I can do. LOL They love their girlie cakes.

natou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natou Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:20pm
post #53 of 71

well my 14 years old told me I couldn 't make a perfect cake for his birthday, no decorations icon_cry.gif just a chocolate cake chocolate icing looking a little sloppy!!!!!!how could I do that!!! I like to make everything look perfect not ugly!!! that one was a difficult cake for me to make...still did not look that sloppy....sorry son couldn't do it!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:50pm
post #54 of 71
Quote:

DS is about to be 1 and I am hoping that boys are less picky than girls. DD picks her party theme each year. There have been times that I tried to sway her so that I could do a different cake but she never budged. Please tell me that for the most part boys are less picky & stubborn than girls (at least in regards to parties & cakes)...LOL!

I just saw some Sesame Street cupcakes that are adorable and I eventually want to make them for DS. Hopefully we'll be able to do SS theme for his 2nd bday since his 1st is so close & already planned.

I hate to do this to you but boys aren't better. I started carving cakes because my youngest insisted on a 3D dump truck for his 3rd birthday. My oldest finally topped him by having a 3d pirate ship.

Daisy135 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:42pm
post #55 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Quote:

I hate to do this to you but boys aren't better. I started carving cakes because my youngest insisted on a 3D dump truck for his 3rd birthday. My oldest finally topped him by having a 3d pirate ship.

LOL!!! THanks for the heads up!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 6:29pm
post #56 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sweetstory

My oldest wants Strawberry cake.

I am allergic to Strawberries. (feel guilty)

My middle one wants a Dairy Queen ice cream cake (not Baskin Robbins, not Haagen Daaz).

Nearest DQ? Almost 4000 miles. (the guilt builds)

My youngest wants something with a fountain that she saw in the 1977 Wilton yearbook. (Due to my guilt with the others, she might actually get it!)

OMGosh - you are so funny. I think you should do the fountain for her and if you'll give me your address, I'll mail you a Dairy Queen ice cream cake. icon_biggrin.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:57pm
post #57 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sweetstory

My oldest wants Strawberry cake.

I am allergic to Strawberries. (feel guilty)

My middle one wants a Dairy Queen ice cream cake (not Baskin Robbins, not Haagen Daaz).

Nearest DQ? Almost 4000 miles. (the guilt builds)

My youngest wants something with a fountain that she saw in the 1977 Wilton yearbook. (Due to my guilt with the others, she might actually get it!)

OMGosh - you are so funny. I think you should do the fountain for her and if you'll give me your address, I'll mail you a Dairy Queen ice cream cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks April! If I do the fountain for her I'll have to have the staircases with all the little figures wearing different colored dresses...otherwise something would be missing; you know? icon_razz.gif

Too bad the whole mailing an ice cream cake wouldn't work. (If it did, it would get me out of buying a ridiculous Star Wars lego in which ALL the pieces are gray...but I think I'm stuck.) But next time you get to a DQ will you have a Dilly bar for me?

SBOG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SBOG Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 11:18pm
post #58 of 71

I always let my 2 and 4 year old pick their cakes. Last year, my son wanted a blue dragon cake. As we got closer to his birthday party I asked again to make sure he hadn't changed his mind...big mistake. Not only wanted a blue dragon, he wanted it blowing fire at a castle and he wanted to have 5 baby dragons (he was specific about the colors as well). I was sorry I asked but it was a fun cake to make and he LOVED it! My daughter wanted a pink castle cake and I've gotten two orders to replicate it...so, it was a great choice:~)

This year, I've been requested to make a pink snake cake for my daughter (can't talk her into a Tinkerbell cake) and my seems to change his mind every time I ask him...so, we'll see what challenging theme he'll come up with.
LL

MJ2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ2008 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 11:30pm
post #59 of 71

I don't have kids yet, but I make all the cakes I can. My first cake was almost two years ago for my great-grandmother's 90th birthday. Since then I've been making them all. I always surprise my boyfriend with a cake for his birthday. He knows I'm making it but he never knows what it will look like. I already know what I'm making him this year and his birthday isn't until the end of June.

I will definitely make our kids' cakes and they'll be whatever they want/are into that year. Hopefully I'll get to make the cakes for any nieces/nephews we get.

jocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jocakes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 11:44pm
post #60 of 71

I let them pick the inside...this year my son is going for chocolate with cookies and cream filling...the outside is usually a surprise,last year he got a shark, this year he's getting R2D2 for his actual birthday and a soccer cake for his party!

My daughter had a candy house last year with a candy garden, this year i'm going to make a dog cake.

So yes I go all out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%