Ohio And Surrounding States!

Decorating By cakesbyjen Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 5:46am by Divous

cakesbyjen Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:16am
post #1 of 9

so, i've been looking at going to a few shows, and i'm having that intitial "i'm not good enough to even take a cake let alone compete" phase, but it has INSPIRED me to start looking into some classes on harder techniques....

only problem is i don't know where to look, and whether they're good classes or a waste of money (happened to me here, took a fondant class at a "celeb" bakery in town and was a waste...)

so anybody in ohio, penna, ummmm whatever states happen to be west of ohio, michigan, ya know... lol those other states that are close....

ok so sue me i'm not a geograpy major! i'm a cake decorator!!!! icon_redface.gif

8 replies
cakesbyjen Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:50am
post #2 of 9

*bump* icon_biggrin.gif

myslady Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:20am
post #3 of 9

The ices website (www.ices.org) should have the names of reps in those areas that can direct you to classes or upcoming events and the american cake decorating website also has an events page that lists any upcoming events for all areas.

CakeRN Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:05am
post #4 of 9

Ohio has a great ICES chapter that meets 2 or 3 times a year usually in Columbus. I looked at your photo's and I don't see where you get the idea your cakes are not good enough for shows. One good person to learn from if you can take the time for him is Nicholas Lodge. He is awesome. I took an all day class with him this past October at the Indiana ICES weekend of sharing. He is so patient. If you don't belong to Ices then I recommend you join.

Teri

MichelleM77 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 9

hey jen, was your "celeb" class in beachwood by any chance. icon_smile.gif i saw that class and wondered if it was worth the $$$.

You can find class information here too: http://neohiodecorators.tripod.com/ I believe there were just classes and a competition last week.

cakesbyjen Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

hey jen, was your "celeb" class in beachwood by any chance. icon_smile.gif i saw that class and wondered if it was worth the $$$.

You can find class information here too: http://neohiodecorators.tripod.com/ I believe there were just classes and a competition last week.

icon_lol.gif sounds like you may know who i'm talking about.... if you already know how to put fondant on a cake then DON'T GO

i'm not saying it's a complete waste of money, but they're doing BASIC BASIC stuff, so if you would be someone who has never used fondant or luster dust or anything then maybe, but they aren't teaching anything you couldn't get at michael's through wilton... and charging triple the price....

nice girls tho...

MichelleM77 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 9

I see them on one of the news morning show all the time, not to mention recent and upcoming cake challenges. They seem to have great clientele. Sigh.

I took some basic classes somewhere else and felt I had learned more on here for free! I would like some mid level classes now, not professional but not basic.

cakesbyjen Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 9

*sigh* i know that they get a lot of cavs players... BUT i've worked at two seperate bakeries where cavs girls come in for cakes, but i haven't decorated either one (1. because the girl i worked with was a SNOB and didn't like me and 2. bcuz it wasn't anything special so it wasn't important)

but i'm starting to think i'm going to have to travel out of state to take some classes... wanna car pool? icon_lol.gif

Divous Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:46am
post #9 of 9

What ? You make beautiful cakes !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%