Freezing Frosted Cakes Before Fondant???

Decorating By babycakes73 Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 6:13am by sayhellojana

babycakes73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes73 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:54am
post #1 of 14

Hi
I am wondering if it is advisable or even been done by anyone else.
Is it possible to buttercream your cake then stick it in the freezer to firm up the buttercream BEFORE applying the fondant?
I ask this because I am going to be making a cake that needs to be flipped over after it is covererd in buttercream to have the fondant applied from the bottom up., then flipped again to right side it again. (making sense here icon_confused.gif )
I am afraid of ruining the layer of buttercream and having it show through the fondant with all the flipping.

http://www.debbiebrownscakes.co.uk/50_easy_party_cakes/pages/baby_in_a_pram_jpg.htm

This is the link to the cake I will be making.
Thanks for any help.

13 replies
cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:04am
post #2 of 14

I have froze my cakes and then apply the fondant it works for me just fine. But I haven't put fondant frosted cake in the freezer. I'm afraid it might get sticky after. icon_smile.gif

babycakes73 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:10am
post #3 of 14

Oh sorry, I am only wanting to put the frosted buttercream cake in the freezer then take it out and fondant it. I am not planning to put it back in the freezer after I fondant it.
Will this change the consistancy or moisture of the fondant when the frosting slowly thaws?

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:23am
post #4 of 14

I have frosted cakes and put them in the frig, then covered in fondant. You have to be careful after you apply the fondant the coldness of the cake makes the fondant get cold and sticky. So work quickly. I have also put cake in the frig after covering in fondant. They do get sticky when they start to get room temp, but don't touch and they will be fine.

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:23am
post #5 of 14

For me it didn't change any but I have read another post where you should put in the fridge to thaw it out . But in Colorado it is dry so that may have an effect depending on your location and humidity as well. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:24am
post #6 of 14

yes, i flash freeze mine for about 5-7 minutes before cover. any longer than that and u will have serious condensation issues. HTH

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:24am
post #7 of 14

It will probably cause the fondant to sweat. I looked at the picture - why all the flipping?

babycakes73 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:19am
post #8 of 14

Not sure why all the flipping, its just how Debbie Brown, says to do it in her book. Does anyone have any ideas how to do this cake without the flipping and achieve the same look?

sayhellojana Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:29am
post #9 of 14

Yes. Just cover the main cake in fondant and decorate it. I don't understand why you would flip it - but maybe there is a detail I'm missing. HTH

babycakes73 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:18am
post #10 of 14

You are suppose to buttercream the cake, then before you flip it, you are to roll some fondant into a long rope like strip and circle this around the top edge of the cake, so that once you fondant it from the bottom up, when it is flipped right side up ,you then fold the fondant over the rope like ring of fondant to create the babies bed area. Creating a hollow for it.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 6:35am
post #11 of 14

I freeze my buttercream-iced cakes for up to 20 minutes before applying fondant. That's the ONLY way I do it, unless the cake is too large to fit in my freezer. I do not have issues with condensation or stickiness.

Freeze away (albeit briefly!) icon_smile.gif

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:14am
post #12 of 14

I freeze ALL my cakes before covering them in fondant. I have never had a problem with it. Good luck

babycakes73 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:31am
post #13 of 14

Thanks for all your great feedback ladies. I now have a little more confidence in what I am going to do.

sayhellojana Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:13am
post #14 of 14

Oh, ok I understand what you're trying to do. I thought that this was a sculpted cake. Now I get it - the fondant would end in the middle top. Huh. Interesting. I never would have thought of that

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%