How Far In Advance Have You Made A Cake?

Decorating By klj0207 Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 12:11pm by KeltoKel

klj0207 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:33am
post #1 of 5

I'm supposed to make a cake for my mother-in-law for her birthday for sunday, but I work all weekend. I've already make the cake and it's in the freezer, but how far in advance can I ice it and it still be okay to eat? I would love to make the icing tomorrow and do a little on friday, a little on saturday and finish it on sunday. FWIW, it's a chocolate cake and I'm using chocolate buttercream and wanting to make regular buttercream roses.

Another question, I made my son's birthday cake (turned out better than expected!), but I have a couple of questions. I froze those cakes also, and I tried to ice them cold and the icing wouldn't stick too that normal? Do I need to make sure I ice them at room temp?

4 replies
suzylynn58 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:39am
post #2 of 5

I use a doctored mix recipe and I start decorating 2 days ahead and the cakes are fine. If you use a scratch recipe, there may be different results.

leah_s Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:41am
post #3 of 5

Well, I bake and freeze up to 2 weeks in advance. At the bakery every cake we sold had been frozen. Some were iced and then frozen. The problem comes in taking cakes in an out of the freezer.

suzylynn58 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 11:55am
post #4 of 5

I freeze for a wee or two a lot of the time too. In fact I had a cake in the freezer that was made out of extra batter. It had been in there since right after Thanksgiving and my family wanted strawberries shortcakes. So I pulled it out a couple days ago and let it thaw. It tasted like I had just baked it! I wouldn't freeze that long for a customer, but it was for my family and it was fine. So that is always an option.

KeltoKel Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:11pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, you are fine to ice the cake Fri/Sat and serve on Sunday. THe cake will be fine. I would defrost it on Thursday.

You have to let your cake thaw completely before icing. A cake defrosting with icing on it might make your cake sweat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%