Color Question?

Decorating By mermaidontop Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 11:42pm by cakesbyjen

mermaidontop Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 2

I painted a cake with gel color last week and the color never dried.(used a paintbrush and gel rightout of the container) What color line ,that is vibrant (not washed out) that I can use that will dry?
next question, I tried to color my royal icing and fondant a dark brown and I never could achieve a dark color, again what color line and medium can be suggested for true color? I've used Americolor, wilton and Cake craft gel/and liquid colors, just can't get a dark brown or black.

1 reply
cakesbyjen Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 2

from my own personal mistakes, gel color won't dry on fondant, gets real tacky, but won't dry... you have to use dry color mixed with high proof vodka or lemon extract, that way the alcohol evaporates out and the color stays, or you can just brush on the dry color and get a somewhat similar effect

and dark colors are hard to achieve(sp?) with browns, blacks, reds, you just have to add crap loads of color and finally it will be there, if you use gels or liquid colors though, it will change the consistency of royal icing or buttercream or fondant or whatever really, so just compensate for lots of color with more dry ingredients...

Quote by @%username% on %date%