How To Pick Up The Top Tier To Stack, Without Messing It Up?

Decorating By lchris Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 2:51pm by leah_s

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 6

I'm still a newbie, so picking up the top tier, I mess it up trying to plop it down on the bottom tier. Any tips? Buttercream is so unforgiving when you stick your fingers underneath to move around. TIA.

5 replies
AllyCake90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllyCake90 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 6

I'm merely assuming that your top tier is on a piece of cardboard. If so, place dowels (equal to the height of your base cake) HALFway into the base cake. [Use 6 or so, spreading them at equal intervals over the area that the top tier will cover] Then, take the top tier (after sliding it carefully to the edge of the counter and sliding it gently onto your hand) and place it GENTLY onto the dowels. The weight of the cake will push the dowels into the cake. Just be sure to hold it by the cardboard bottom until it's about 1" from the top of the base cake, then gently release it. Voila! icon_biggrin.gif

If your top tier isn't on a piece of cake board: Take a piece of cake board and the pan you used to make the top tier. Trace the bottom of the pan onto the cake board using a pencil & cut it out. Using a cake lifter (a cookie sheet with no raised edges will also work) slide it gently under the cake. Then transfer the cake to your cut-out by gently sliding it off of the cake lifter and onto the board.

Good Luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 6

I use my icing spatula to set it in place. After lowering the cake onto the bottom tier, I leave the spatula under the cake while I eye-ball it to make sure it's in the right place. If not, I use the spatula to lift and adjust. Once it's ok, then pull the spatula out. I always place the spatula on the backside of the cake just in case it pulls any icing when I pull the knife out. That way any last minute fixes are in the back where they wont' be seen.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:14am
post #4 of 6

Here's a video showing what AllyCake90 described:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHSzbG_y9JE&feature=email
I do mine like that too, keeps me from denting the cake!

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you ladies for the replies!
I've been doing it the way indydebi described, but I was messing it up too much. I just need more practice.
Seriouscakes, I can't believe I missed that video. Thought I saw all of yours! I'm a visual person, so I had to re-read Allycake90 post, and sure enough, that's what it said!! icon_razz.gif [/u]

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 6

Or use SPS and just slide your tiers into place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%