How Do I Paint On Buttercreme Cake?

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 5:15pm by Pebbles1727

Pebbles1727 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 4

That's the question: how do I paint on buttercreme cake? I see some cakes in the gallery where it looks like the image is painted on. Do I just use paste colors and go with it, do I need to dilute them with water? I'm doing a cake this Saturday and was planning to do a FBCT but the image has too much shading for me to achieve the look just with icing. Is there a way just to paint the image directly on the cake or maybe still do a buttercreme transfer and then put the details with brush and color. Please help, I'm getting stressed out and it's only Wednesday. And oh, I'm a newbie...
Thanks in advance, P

3 replies
KHalstead Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 4

Not sure what you're SUPPOSED to do, but I'm a "wing-it" type of person and here's what I do (here is a cake to show the technique too).....the trees were all painted on with buttercream that I added water to thinning it down until it was pretty loose, yet not liquid...then I just painted on the crusted buttercream with it......the squirrel was an fbct that I just added more details to once it was on the cake (hair lines and such)
the other cake I painted the dog on w/ loosened buttercream as well...it works pretty well.
LL
LL

KHalstead Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 4

oh and also.........after about 10-15 minutes the buttercream does set back up again.......it doesn't remain soft and sticky!

Pebbles1727 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 4

Awesome!!! Thank you so much! I love the squirrel! Thinned out buttercreme --- here I come!
P

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%