Ever Store A Cake Outside?

Decorating By brgrassmyer Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 5:48pm by juleebug

brgrassmyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brgrassmyer Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 6

I am maxed out on freezer space and was wondering if anyone uses the cold temps outside to store a cake temporarly? I was going to put my decorated cake into a rubbermaid container and then cover the bin with a blanket and put it out on my covered porch. Any thoughts or suggestions. It is below freezing here and will be that way for the next few days.
Thanks icon_smile.gif

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 6

People used to use the cold outside as a freezer all the time. I know my grandmother used to do that frequently around the holidays when fridge/freezer space was limited!

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 6

I have to fess up. Before I got a new fridge, I would store cakes overnight in my garage in big plastic totes (that locked) inside their boxes. Never had a problem with that.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 6

We recently got a new refrigerator that I absolutely hate!!!! It doesn't have nearly as much space as I was expecting. So, yes, I've been putting lots of stuff out in our "sunroom." Living in Chicago, it's really chilly out there now. I've put tiered cakes, big doggie bags from restaurants, and especially tons of food at the holidays. I just keep asking myself what I'm going to do once the weather gets warm again!!!

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 6

I don't see why not as long as no creepy crawlies can get to it. Cold is cold wether in the fring/freezer or natural air.

Man, there is no way I could even think about doing that in FL...weather man just said near 80 today....that's even hot for here during January...

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 6

Recently, I have had to store cakes (in cake boxes) overnight in my car several times because they were too large to be placed in my refrigerator and I couldn't freeze them as they were due for delivery the next day. I have only done this when the temperature was in the teens to low 20s.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%