Steps? (Long)

Business By Juds2323 Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 9:15pm by SweetOccasionCakes

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 2

I've read tons of thread here and am really trying to get my head around what the steps are to get legal. I have a location in mind to ask about renting and am fairly optimistic that it will work out. But I keep circling. I'd like to have my ducks in a row before approaching. Not sure which steps are first etc.

I know I need to do the following:
- food handlers certification
- insurance
- once location decided, inspection
- Register business name
- Set up company, still trying to figure that out. Don't have much money so hiring an accountant might be out for now. Have to figure out the rules on that one. I do have some accounting experience.
- Tax Id registration for state and local taxes.

Also, how do I find out the rules that will need to be followed? I know a lot will be covered in the certification but what other rules do I need to figure out for my state/county? And how do I go about it.

I am going to try and get some dummys done soon for a portfolio. I currently only have a few cakes I've done for family. I'm not willing to chance working illegally - too risky for me. I feel like I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Judi

1 reply
SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 2

I can't offer a lot of advice, but I know that laws differ from state to state. You can find out everything you need from your local Health Department (HD) or your states Department of Agriculture. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%