Must Each Cake Be On A Board When Stacking Them?

Decorating By shal1234 Updated 22 Jul 2013 , 7:45am by Annabakescakes

shal1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shal1234 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 20

I have been reading up about stacking cakes and using dowel sticks for support. Must each cake on the top tiers be on a board? How then do you stick a dowel down through the middle to hold them all together. A dowel stick wouldn't go through the boards! Any help?

19 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 20

Yes, each cake should be on a cardboard cake board. If you sharpen the end of the dowel and hammer it in gently using a rubber mallet it will go through the boards.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 20

Depends on which cake support system you use.

If you use the SPS system for example (there is no center dowel).

All the commonly used cake support systems are illustrated and fully explained in this thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

HTH

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shal1234

Must each cake on the top tiers be on a board? How then do you stick a dowel down through the middle to hold them all together?

I am so glad you asked this, because I have a video that shows it is not necessary at all! Here is a link!

Toodles!

Sandra Lee

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 20

shal1234....my above post was an attempt at sarcasm by the way. Support of some kind is vital with stacked cakes, follow Jan's link, it is most helpful. icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

shal1234....my above post was an attempt at sarcasm by the way. Support of some kind is vital with stacked cakes, follow Jan's link, it is most helpful. icon_smile.gif

I remember that........................

SassyBees2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SassyBees2 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

Quote:
Originally Posted by shal1234

Must each cake on the top tiers be on a board? How then do you stick a dowel down through the middle to hold them all together?

I am so glad you asked this, because I have a video that shows it is not necessary at all! Here is a link!

Toodles!

Sandra Lee

Haha

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 20

I can't believe I just wasted 5 minutes and 38 seconds of my life on that hideousness.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:37pm
post #9 of 20

I just hate not being able to access ANY online videos because of my wretched dial-up service. icon_mad.gif

But here's a legit thread...

Throw out the center dowel!:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-34697.html

HTH

leah_s Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 20

That's a pretty old thread. Now we know more - SPS!

shal1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shal1234 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:00am
post #11 of 20

SPS sounds amazing, will look out for that. If I use the dowel sticks and cardboard cake boards, how thick does the card need to be? the green ugly monster cake I just watched ( I was hoping the whole thing would slide and fall over!!) , she used like corrugated card, but I'm not sure I should take her seriously! Was she for real?

leah_s Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:32pm
post #12 of 20

You buy the cardboard rounds in the size needed. They can be purchased in any cake supplies store and many crft stores. And although Sandra Lee is on TV she gives out an amazing amount of really bad advice.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:09pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I can't believe I just wasted 5 minutes and 38 seconds of my life on that hideousness.

Me too!

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:23pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Me too!

Ah, man I watched it too... all way through because I haven't seen it before. What's scary is that someone might try to actually do that... then say it came from a professional. Shoot, I don't even try to pass my cakes off as pro... I just make them for the kids and to send to work with hubby. ugh

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:29pm
post #15 of 20

Yeah...I watched this video and the whole way through thinking.."Who is this person as she is defintely not a experienced decorater because everyone knows you wouldn't slap a cake together like that mess!!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:38pm
post #16 of 20

I want to know how she adds regular food coloring to white chocolate without it seizing up?
I wonder how many people people followed her directions and ruined their chocolate?

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:46pm
post #17 of 20

OMG, that's all I can say.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:12pm
post #18 of 20

Thank goodness I did not waist the full 5 minutes!

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 5:54am
post #19 of 20

AI know this a old thread. But I was searching for an answer to my question about stacking. And had to share my disdain for Ms. Sandra Lee. She works my nerves like no other.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 7:45am
post #20 of 20

ARead comments on the video. I love how the cake muggles are yelling about her using cardboard in the cake, as ugly and crappy as it is, it is the one thing she got right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%