Whats Going On With My Blade?

Decorating By cakedivamommy Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 6:36am by cakedivamommy

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 6

So, I avoided a total disaster but still had a disaster.

I am using my new KA blade. It is one of the non coated ones. I have used this blade once before and didnt have a problem. I hand wash and dry very thoroughly. Well, while creaming my butter and sugar it turns this grayish color. I turn the mixer off to see what it is and can not figure what is in the bowl with the butter and sugar. I touch the blade and my finger has this gray powdery stuff on it. I tossed the butter and sugar and am going to start over again but do not want to until I figure out what it the matter with the blade. I have rewashed and dried the blade and the powder seems to be gone but I am now worried. Does anyone have any ideas or had this happen to them? Thank you!

5 replies
yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 6

call kitchenaid - from my experience they have pretty good customer service...they should send you out a new paddle ASAP!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 6

Sounds like the blade is scratching the sides of the bowl. Take yellow's advice.

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 6

Just out of curiosity, did you put the blade in the dishwasher?

I ask because this happened to me with the dough hook once. I didn't know it was supposed to go in the dishwasher. When I pulled it out, it had that powder all over. I had to throw it away and get a new one because it wasn't safe anymore.

Even if you didn't put in the dishwasher, the outside coat is gone at least on some bits so I would just trash it and get a new one.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:19am
post #5 of 6

June, she said the blade is the new kind that isn't coated.

and she handwashed it.

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:36am
post #6 of 6

I called KA and told them what was going on. They are having a BIG problem apparently with the blades that are not coated. She told me that oxidation was making the blade to have the gray powdery stuff on it. They are sending me a new coated blade. Thanks everyone for your replies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%