Cake Dummy??

Decorating By volleyball47 Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 5:02am by xstitcher

volleyball47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
volleyball47 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 15

How to i get (or make?) a cake dummy? i have been wanting to practice my decorating without actually making a cake, but i dont know what a cake dummy is? is it out of Styrofoam or something? help! thanks!

14 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 15

yes it is styrofoam, you can get them from global sugar art... taylor foam and dallas -- foam. I'm sure there are others too...

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 15

I get mine at www.countrykitchensa.com

Do a search for dummies. There are a TON of threads out there about how to do these!

icon_smile.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:41am
post #4 of 15

Dummies are the best!

You can practice everything on the suckers.

I buy mine from my local cake supplier.

Don't forget you can pull everything off of them and reuse.

MaryAnn

CakeliciousCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeliciousCreations Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:19am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowCoolGomo1

Dummies are the best!

MaryAnn

I am new to the decorating scene as well... and I too have been looking to find a cake dummy to use. when you state that you buy from your local cake supplier, do you mean bakery? I am in the st. louis, missouri area... and I am having trouble finding a cake supplier in my area? I am looking at going to Hobby Lobby or Michael's craft stores and buying several of the round styro disks and glueing several together to get my four inch cake round. Would this work? anybody please feel free to respond. I am on limited time and can't place internet order.

CakeliciousCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeliciousCreations Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:20am
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowCoolGomo1

Dummies are the best!

MaryAnn

I am new to the decorating scene as well... and I too have been looking to find a cake dummy to use. when you state that you buy from your local cake supplier, do you mean bakery? I am in the st. louis, missouri area... and I am having trouble finding a cake supplier in my area? I am looking at going to Hobby Lobby or Michael's craft stores and buying several of the round styro disks and glueing several together to get my four inch cake round. Would this work? anybody please feel free to respond. I am on limited time and can't place internet order.

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 15

I got mine from dallas foam. google it for the website addy. VERY inexpensive and great shipping rates and speed.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 15

CakeliciousCreations - I just bought some this weekend from Sallie's cake supplies on Manchester, just west of 141!

Another dummy question...to reuse the dummy, do you cover it woth anything before decorating? I read somewhere to cover it wit plastic wrap - is that necessary? For fondant decorating do you put buttercream, piping gel, or just water on the dummy to get the fondant to stick?

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:49am
post #9 of 15

KrissieCakes
What a great question! It's a need to know thing.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:08pm
post #10 of 15

I cover mine with clear packing tape. Easy to clean off and it makes the icing look smooth....easy to cover with fondant as well.

I buy some of mine from candylandcrafts .com

KieslerKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KieslerKakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:22pm
post #11 of 15

I cover my cake dummies with Glad press n seal. It's the greatest thing ever. It sticks really well on the styrofoam and it's easy to remove when your finished and want to start over again.

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:17pm
post #12 of 15

Janet or anyone else who has used wrap on the dummies - do you put the fondant directly on top of the wrap or a thin layer of buttercream or shortening first so the fondant will stick?

KieslerKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KieslerKakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:06am
post #13 of 15

At the time I was using BC icing only. I have not tried fondant on the press and seal directly.

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:02am
post #14 of 15

Thanks for responding!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:02am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigojods

Janet or anyone else who has used wrap on the dummies - do you put the fondant directly on top of the wrap or a thin layer of buttercream or shortening first so the fondant will stick?

A little bit of piping gel or even water would work too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%