Engagment Cake Help :)

Decorating By Caths_Cakes Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 1:34am by becky27

Caths_Cakes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 5

I have to do an engagment cake for some time in may icon_smile.gif Its for my brother and his new fiancee , She said she would like something simple, and showed me a picture of 'double heart' cake. . if that makes sense, like two hearts side by side but kind of . . linked together?

it was a lovely cake, but id really like to do something with tiers, Or something a little more . . Wow if that makes sense icon_smile.gif Ive been looking threw galleries, and havent found one on engagements, but been looking at all others for insperation . . and nothing Really jumps out at me.

i would like to do heart shaped, it would be a new one for me, perhaps stacked, im not great with flowers, but thinking about Using fresh if i could. Any ideas or possible insperation would be fantastic. Nothing to OTT, but simple to keep in line with her ideas, but a little . . More wow if that makes any sense lol. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
cakesbyjen Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 5

i did a heart cake dummy for a wedding show, maybe it can help you out some?

i used royal icing to simulate ganache being poured over top, and the words around the sides are personal, so names, dates, where they got engaged, etc.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1302253

prterrell Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 5

I did a 3-tier heart shaped cake for my aunt's wedding (sorry, I don't have any pics of it). It was a pain to ice! Much harder than a square or round cake.

How many people are going to be at the engagement party? You don't want to have tons of leftover cake that end up getting tossed.

Since she likes the double-heart idea, maybe you could do a large round or oval tier with a smaller double-heart on top? Wilton makes a topper for use with real flowers. You could put that on top of the double heart. Leave the top of the round/oval tier iced smooth and if you get the size proportion right you can write congratulations and their names on the bottom tier around the double heart. Do some pretty borders and some cornelli lace on the sides of the bottom tier and just pretty borders and smooth icing on the top tier and you have a pretty, simple, but elegant cake. You could do it white on white, or white on ivory, or ivory on ivory, or a pale peach or blush pink on champagne, all would be nice and soft and romantic.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:06am
post #4 of 5

I would shoot for the double heart cake since that's what the bride wants. I'm sure just a double layer "double heart" cake with some roses on it would be beautiful. She said simple right? You could still dress it up with a little cornelli lace, maybe some sanding sugar or luster dust to make it sparkle. It seems to me like when a decorator hears "simple", they automatically think boring. But simple can be just as elegant.

If she likes it enough, maybe they'll ask you to do the wedding cake and that's when you'll be able to go all out with the tiered cake and "something more".

becky27 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:34am
post #5 of 5

i did cupcakes for a bridal shower which i thought would be so super cute for an engagement party!!! i can't post the pic for some reason...but if you look thru my photos on here you will see them...they are the cupcakes with the flower and ring in the middle...i also recently made a big rose cake out of the wonder mold pan....even that would be a cute engagement cake...that you could somehow perhaps in fondant or gumpaste etc...make a big diamond ring coming out of the middle.....just some different ideas other than the hearts....but whatever you make i know it will be spectacular...good luck...hope i could help the creative juices start to flow!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%