Cake Board To Look Like Butcher's Block?

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 1:06am by sweetneice

chilz822 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 4

Can anyone help me achieve the look of a butcher's block or wooden cutting board without using an impression mat?

I made a cheesewheel cake and want it to look like it's sitting on a cutting board...

3 replies
eimiee1978 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 4

you could cover a cake board with the faux wood contact paper.

MBoyd Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:19am
post #3 of 4

I stumbled across a great technique for making fondant wood grain - it pays off to watch those Food Network Cake Challenges religiously!

Start with light "wood colored" fondant. Add a darker food coloring in various spots on the fondant as though you are going to marbleize the fondant. It also helps to apply the second color in "stripes" all going the same way (rather than dots or blotches).

Then, (similar to marbleizing) start to work the fondant by pulling it out in one direction, and then fold it over on itself, keep folding it and pulling it (always in the same direction) - similar to pulling taffy. Just make sure to stop before the darker color is completely worked in. Then you can cover your cake board with the wood grain fondant.

I used this technique to make wood-grain floors on this Clue board cake. I also added grooves to simulate wood flooring.
LL

sweetneice Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:06am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the tip, Now I get to play with that idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%