Gum Paste Structures

Decorating By uberathlete Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 8:26pm by uberathlete

uberathlete Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone. I just wanted to ask if anyone here has made structures made of gum paste? I'm going to make a cake that has a small bird cage (actually, just half of a birdcage) on top. Something like this but a little less complicated and with the front "open":

I'm not sure how the heck I'm gonna make the bird cage though. At first I thought of making it with melted sugar, but that seems difficult to do. So I'm thinking that maybe I could make it using gum paste, since gum paste hardens well and seems to be relatively strong, and can be more forgiving to work with. I'm a bit lost right now so any ideas or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

7 replies
jamiekwebb Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 8

gum paste is good but it would help if we could see the picture.

uberathlete Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiekwebb

gum paste is good but it would help if we could see the picture.

Oh is the picture not showing? Hmm strange it's showing on my screen. Here's the link:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_kScy_526HCI/ReyvH4PpjEI/AAAAAAAAAIA/J2Uv-8D0ZVY/untitled.jpg

MacsMom Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 8

Patillage might be better than gumpaste. I haven't used it yet, but I've read that dries harder than GP (GP may break easier).

uberathlete Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Patillage might be better than gumpaste. I haven't used it yet, but I've read that dries harder than GP (GP may break easier).

Hmm, pastillage? Never worked with it before. Is there another name for it?

jamiekwebb Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 8

I still can't get it to show. Probably just me. icon_confused.gif don't you just love computers icon_lol.gif Anyway I have never heard of pastillage either. Does it need to stand up or is it going to lay? If it is going to lay maybe you could use royal icing... don't really know... just a thought

MacsMom Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberathlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Hmm, pastillage? Never worked with it before. Is there another name for it?

Here is more info on pastillage
http://www.pastrysampler.com/Questions_and_Answers/pastillage.htm

icon_smile.gif

uberathlete Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiekwebb

I still can't get it to show. Probably just me. icon_confused.gif don't you just love computers icon_lol.gif Anyway I have never heard of pastillage either. Does it need to stand up or is it going to lay? If it is going to lay maybe you could use royal icing... don't really know... just a thought

hehe, yeah now I can't see it either. If you right click and copy link location in that link I gave then open a new window and paste it in the address bar it should show up. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%