Cookie Scraps And Penny's Recipe

Baking By delisa01 Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 4:37am by delisa01

delisa01 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 19

How many times can I roll out the scraps (the dough that is left after you've used your cookie cutter)? What do you do with the scrap?

Also, is there a way to roll Penn's recipe so that it is not so sticky. I'm rolling between plastic wrap. Should I roll on floured surface?

Thanks

18 replies
HeidiCrumbs Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 19

When I make my cookies, I just roll them all until the dough is gone, or there isn't enough to make one more shape with. I don't know if that is correct, but I have never noticed a difference in the texture of a clump of cookies in the batch, meaning they would have been rolled the most, if that makes sense.

As for the recipe you asked about, I have never used it, or even seen it for that matter, but when I roll out cookies I always use flour on a regular cupboard surface. I put down enough so that I can brush the excess off with my hand and have no extra. It's always just enough so that it takes the sticky away but doesn't add any amount of flour into the dough. I tried using wax paper of saran wrap and rolling in between those, but I just couldn't do it. I know a lot of people do though.

Honeydukes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 19

My recipe is very similar to the NFSC and I roll mine twice before I notice a difference in texture. The cookies don't rise as much and the crumb tends to get tougher. I use the last for my "practice" decorating.

I've not used Penny's recipe (I've been meaning to for some time now.) I did take a class from her and she said her recipe is formulated to "take more flour" if it needs it. So if the dough is sticky, knead in a little more flour at a time. She also spread a little on her work surface.

-Tubbs Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 19

I roll three times maximum. Any more and the texture starts to change - they aren't so tender.

I do roll with flour - can't get on with any other method.

delisa01 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 19

Thanks so much for your responses. I did end up rolling out the dough in flour and it was much easier to work with.

Stucas Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 19

I use pennys and I roll on a floured surface and really don't have a limit to how many times I roll. I always incorporate the end of one section of dough with a new section and not once had an issue.

iwantcookies Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 1:17pm
post #7 of 19

can anyone please point me in the direction of penny's recipe? pretty please!

cookieaddict Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 19

I agree with HeidiCrumbs. I never used Penni's recipe or have seen it before. I use the NFSC which is always a no fail.

I roll it out as many times as needed. Never had a problem. I once did 650 cookies using the NFSC within 2 days. Turned out perfect.

shiney Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 19

delisa01, I've started rolling mine on a silpat (I love that thing) dust with a little flour, parchment over the dough, then roll on top, and it's fabulous!

lchristi27 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:26pm
post #10 of 19

Roll between two sheets of parchment right after the dough has been made. Keep cold cookies sheets in the fridge and place one section of dough on cookie sheet. It's amazing how easy that works and how cold they stay. Also, I went to Home Depot and bought two sticks of wood that are 1/4" high, it keeps the dough the same height and eliminates a lot of re-rolling the dough.

brandywinecakes Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:29pm
post #11 of 19

I roll the out the dough until the entire batch is gone. I've not noticed a difference between the first cookies and the ones that have been rolled several times. Now that I've read this post, I'll pay more attention next time to see if I'm missing something.

brandywinecakes Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 7:02pm
post #13 of 19

Honeydukes, thank you so much for compiling these links! I have been procrastinating on looking up all of this info!

Deb_ Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 7:20pm
post #15 of 19

I use Penny's recipe exclusively and I LOVE it!

I too roll between 2 sheets of LIGHTLY floured wax/plastic wrap. I divide the dough into 3, roll out to 1/2 inch and place the 2 I'm not working on in the fridge to chill. I dip my cutters in flour before pressing into the dough. I only roll 2 times, if I have leftover I'll roll 3 times but these are for home, as I notice the texture is much tougher the more flour and rolling the dough is put through.

Try this with "Sugar Cookie Icing" by tara1970 found here in the recipe section. This icing is WAY better than plain old RI, the texture is awesome, it hardens on the surface, but is soft under the surface when you bite into it. They can be stacked and the icing dries to a nice shine. I add 1/2 teaspoon of creme bouquet to the original recipe. I'll try to post the recipe link, I promise once you use it, you won't ever go back to RI again.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6523-Suagr-cookie-Icing.html

Honeydukes Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 7:53pm
post #16 of 19

My pleasure! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

iwantcookies Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 11:46pm
post #17 of 19

honeydukes, ure a legend! thanks for taking the time out to help a newbie!

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:05pm
post #18 of 19

I use a rolled cookie dough and roll between parchment sheets. That way I have no extra flour getting into the dough to make it tough and I can roll and reroll as many times as necessary. I usually end up with a small amount left over and I just toss that in with the next batch (I make so many cookies that the dough doesn't have time to go bad.) Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

delisa01 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:37am
post #19 of 19

Thanks so much for your helpful responses. I will experiment with these suggestions.

Delia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%