Calling All Las Vegas Decorators...

Decorating By steffla Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 12:15am by sillyjodes

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone! I am currently located in central New Jersey and do pretty well here with my newer cake decorating business. I do not have an "official" business but work from word of mouth.

I am relocating at some point this year to Las Vegas and I was wondering how business is there. Do people order fondant cake because I basically work in mmf not buttercream? What kind of pricing do you get for cakes there? Do you have success with out of the ordinary, novelty style cakes as opposed to sheet cakes and standard bakery style? Any information would be very helpful so I know what I might be getting into.

Also, is it legal to work out of your home there?

Please share your experiences with me!! Thanks in advance!

Stephanie

3 replies
steffla Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:18am
post #2 of 4

Anyone in Vegas....anyone???????

steffla Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 4

wow, will I really be the only decorator in vegas??? icon_biggrin.gif

sillyjodes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyjodes Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:15am
post #4 of 4

Hey, I'm in Vegas, but I don't sell cakes. I'm still a hobbyist. You can't legally sell from your home and we'll be moving again in 1 1/2 years. I see no point in trying to set up a business in that little time.
Anyway, the 'cake environment' in Vegas is dominated by Freeds (sp?). Although, there are a heck of a lot of cupcake shops around town. Retro Bakery is my personal fav.
There's only one cake supply shop that I know of. It's Jan's Treasures in Henderson. I went there once, but it took 45 min, so I haven't been back. I'll just pay for shipping from an online store.
It's good you like fondant, because making buttercream in the desert heat can be tricky. In the summer, I have to use all shortening, but play with the butter in the winter.
HTH, let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. I'd be more than happy to have an excuse to shop around the local bakeries!
Jodie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%