Flashing Red Light For Police Car!

Decorating By pkinkema Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 10:51pm by pkinkema

pkinkema Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 5

Anyone have an idea of how to get a flashing red light for a groom's police car cake? I have searched the web, but cannot find anything that I think is practical to use. The car is going to be somewhere around 9x26 (using 3 9x13 layers), so I can't use a real dinky toy car one.

I saw a show where someone made an automated cake and they used small PC pipe thru the cake to hide/protect the wires. Good idea.

Then I figure I'll need a stand to raise the car on the tires (cookies?), so the battery unit will fit nicely under there. Got that figured out, but.....

Just don't have a flasher unit! Anyone?? Help!!!!!!!

4 replies
costumeczar Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know where to get them, but I've seen little flashing red lights that you can clip onto yourself or your dog's collar if you're running at night. I got one in a package of batteries once, and there's a lady who walks her dog every morning around here, and I see her with one clipped to her and one clipped to her dog. You might find them in child-safety products, or runner's products, maybe? Maybe at sporting good stores? Sorry I can't be more specific. They're self-contained, so you wouldn't need a power source.

ddaigle Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 5

I bought a little flashing LED light that was attached to a round thingy about the size of a thick quarter. I picked it up at Michael's, thinking I would use it for something someday. Not sure how long the battery lasts, but you could buy it and turn it on and see how many hours you get out of it. If the battery lasts through the reception, then you wouldn't have to deal with all the wiring.

Callyssa Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 5

Yep, both pet stores and sporting goods stores carry them. I think at our Dick's sporting goods they even have blue and green lights too. Make sure to post the picture, it will be awesome!

pkinkema Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 5

Man! These are great ideas! Never thought about the safety lights. Guess I was thinking too much "inside the box"! I'll be checking them out this weekend.

Wedding isn't till May.

Anyone have great hints about tires, etc? I thought I'd probably make cookies and decorate for the tires & wheels.

Quote by @%username% on %date%