Emergency! Black Icing?!

Decorating By Anjoli Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 5:32pm by pouchet82

Anjoli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anjoli Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 10

I really need black royal icing.
But it's not turning black!

I know the concentrated color isn't old. I just bought it a couple days ago.
I've heard the icing color changes if you let it sit. I waited overnight.
I've used almost an entire container of the color.
Why isn't my RI turning black??
How can I get it to turn black now??
It looks like a dark purple-ish color!

9 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 10

How much icing are you trying to color? It's really difficult to get large amounts of icing dyed the darker colors. Also, did you rewhip the RI after letting it sit (hopefully covered and in the fridge!)? It might be darker underneath the top "crust". If you are dying a large amount, you may actually need to use an entire container or more of the black food color. Also, the Americolor brand usually works better than the Wilton, especially for the darker colors.

Anjoli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anjoli Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 10

yes, i did rewhip the icing. it was also in a sealed container in the fridge. i've been mixing it up with more color.
it was the wilton recipe, not doubled or anything. i think the yield is 3 cups.
i guess i will add the rest of the container of color and see what happens.
if that doesn't work, might have to go out and get some americolor.
thanks!

aa053103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aa053103 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 10

Yes, use Americolor superblack and get Antonia74's royal icing recipe. I use it all the time and it's works best for me, especially if you are doing cookies.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 10

Wow! That's a lot of RI to try and color black! You're gonna need at least an entire container, maybe more to color that much.

marriedtoagreek74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marriedtoagreek74 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 10

When I do black RI I start by adding cocoa powder to get it a dark shade and go to black from there with Americolor. I do find that it is a little more runny this way, but I use it for cutout cookies and that's about it.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 10

I usually have to use the entire container of Wilton's black color when I'm coloring a full batch of RI. I have noticed that if I start out coloring it navy blue (CK Products) then add black (Wilton) to it, it gets a much more truer black color.

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 10

When I need black it usually takes the WHOLE container if not more to get true black and there have been occasions that I also add brown or navy (like mentioned above). It does take forever to get black. But eventually I get there.

I also use the Wilton colors. Which I know don't work as well as the Americolor but no where around me carries the Americolor. I could order it online but just haven't yet.

Hope this helps you.

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:19pm
post #9 of 10

if it is purpleish add a little green to kill it. but yep to get black you need for sure a lot of black ... little brown and green to kill the red/purple shade.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:32pm
post #10 of 10

When I tried to get my RI black, I dumped a whole bunch of other colors in first and then added black. I found that it worked well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%