Making Your Own Silicone Molds

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 5:50pm by TooMuchCake

loriemoms Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 6

I have started making my own silicone molds from different types of things like handle pulls, and frame edges. I have a bride who wants me to make edible broche from her lace on her dress. I was thinking oo silicone mold! But I wasnt sure if it would stick to the fabric or even produce the details. Has anyone does this?

Thanks!

5 replies
LisaR64 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 6

I've used the "Amazing Mold Putty" (from A.C. Moore) to make a mold of a piece of lace, and it worked really well.

loriemoms Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 6

cool! Did you have to treat it or anything?

TooMuchCake Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 6

I use the mold products from www.makeyourownmolds.com They're food grade molding products. Scroll down the page until you see Seal-Dit. It's for sealing fabrics before making a mold of them.

HTH,
Deanna

loriemoms Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchCake

I use the mold products from www.makeyourownmolds.com They're food grade molding products. Scroll down the page until you see Seal-Dit. It's for sealing fabrics before making a mold of them.

HTH,
Deanna

Thanks! I use them as well and never noticed the sealing material! I will give that a try...Do you have any good results with fine lace? (this stuff has been great for heavier molds and metals...like police badges and such)

TooMuchCake Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 6

I haven't tried it on fabric yet. I had every intention of doing it, but.... I do love their stuff for molding in general, plus they're such nice people to deal with.

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%