Making Your Own Silicone Molds

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 5:50pm by TooMuchCake

loriemoms  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 6

I have started making my own silicone molds from different types of things like handle pulls, and frame edges. I have a bride who wants me to make edible broche from her lace on her dress. I was thinking oo silicone mold! But I wasnt sure if it would stick to the fabric or even produce the details. Has anyone does this?

Thanks!

5 replies
 LisaR64  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 6

I've used the "Amazing Mold Putty" (from A.C. Moore) to make a mold of a piece of lace, and it worked really well.

loriemoms Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 6

cool! Did you have to treat it or anything?

TooMuchCake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 6

I use the mold products from www.makeyourownmolds.com They're food grade molding products. Scroll down the page until you see Seal-Dit. It's for sealing fabrics before making a mold of them.

HTH,
Deanna

loriemoms Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchCake

I use the mold products from www.makeyourownmolds.com They're food grade molding products. Scroll down the page until you see Seal-Dit. It's for sealing fabrics before making a mold of them.

HTH,
Deanna

Thanks! I use them as well and never noticed the sealing material! I will give that a try...Do you have any good results with fine lace? (this stuff has been great for heavier molds and metals...like police badges and such)

TooMuchCake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 6

I haven't tried it on fabric yet. I had every intention of doing it, but.... I do love their stuff for molding in general, plus they're such nice people to deal with.

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%