Garbage Disposal Smell-Any More Permanent Solutions?

Lounge By FlourPots Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 4:17am by Bijoudelanuit

FlourPots Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 7

This is really bugging me...I don't throw food down there...I clean it daily...I've used lemons, which I liked, but it was so temporary, literally just a few hours.

Any home remedy or store product that works well to get rid of the rotten egg smell?

6 replies
VannaD Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 7

I too have a disposal and usually lemons or orage peel help. try this website they have All kinds of remedies, theres even one for the garbage disposal. Its about 18th on the page. Good Luck!

http://kitchen.robbiehaf.com/CleaningTips.html

This is the 2nd time ive suggested this website today, incase anyone wondering... no i dont work for them icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 7

Run bleach thru it. I run bleach thru my shop sinks once a month or more.

BrendaS104 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 7

I dump the baking soda container that I use for the fridge down the disposal about once a month. I never have a problem with smell.

mybestfriend Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 7

Hey Flourpot......Go Gators! You might try using a rag and reaching down into the disposal opening and wiping around that rim under the rubber. I volunteer weekly at our local Ronald McDonald House and one the sinks in the kitchen there has the same issue. You'd be surprised at the "crud" you find. Hope this helps. And again......Go Gators!

FlourPots Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:28am
post #6 of 7

EXCELLENT suggestions!

Love that site vanna1487, it's loaded with great info.

Gators, LOL...don't know a thing about them. My 12 yr. old nephew dreams of being one though, so I made him the helmet for his b'day.

Thanks so much everyone.

Bijoudelanuit Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:17am
post #7 of 7

I use baking soda followed by a a few cups of vinegar- it bubbles, cleans and leaves it smell/odor free!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%