What's A Good Non-Shortening Chocolate Frosting/icing?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 12:45am by shannon100

LoriMc Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 8

Can anyone recommend a good chocolate icing or frosting that doesn't mix chocolate with shortening? I'm in the mood for trying out some new chocolate icings for cakes but I have never liked chocolate buttercream. Thanks!

7 replies
bashini Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, you can make ganache as a filling. And the other thing you can do is mix the ganache with buttercream. Its really yummy. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 8

The one on the side of the Hershey Cocoa can.

LoriMc Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

The one on the side of the Hershey Cocoa can.

That's the one I use now! lol I just thought there might be something better. I like the taste, but it's a little on soft side.

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 8

Add a little more p.sugar to stiffen it up. I use it all the time and it even crusts well enough to Melvira it.

stephaniescakenj Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 8

I use toba garrett's buttercream. It does have some shortening in it but it's really good and it does crust. I also take IMBC and mix in melted and cooled chocolate and it's good too.

bisbqueenb Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 8

One package instant chocolate pudding mix and 3 cups whipping cream. I did a baby shower cake last weekend using the cheesecake pudding...yum....who needs cake under it!

Just put it all in the mixer and blend on low, then on higher speed till nice and thick. I still have a little leftover in the fridge...and it has kept its shape nicely. Was easy to frost the whole cake with, including roses and borders...so much nicer than regular whipped cream!

shannon100 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:45am
post #8 of 8

Do you need to decorate with it? I've made chocolate buttercream without shortening. It handled decorating well, and tasted yummy. I just did the Wilton recipe with all butter instead of shortening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%