Can I Freeze?

Decorating By 1of5wives Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 4:05pm by something_sweet

1of5wives Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 3

Hi, Does anyone freeze sour creme or egg whites in cartons??? I would love to be able to stock up and just pull them out of the freezer. I HATE going out on days like today (snowing, blowing, blustery, freezing-25) but I'm out of sour creme. If anyone can help, your opinions would be much appreciated.. here I go out in the storm.

2 replies
delisa01 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 3

I have frozen egg whites before with success (I made IMBC with it). I just did a google search on freezing sour cream and it seems you can freeze it if you plan to bake with it but not if you plan to use it for a dip because the texture changes. It separates in the freezer and you have to stir it back together before using it. It sure beats going out with that kinda weather!

something_sweet Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 3

I think in general it is not a good idea to freeze dairy products because they can go bad even in the freezer, so I would say "no" on the sour cream. I think the egg whites would be ok. But I haven't frozen either of these items to say for sure. I understand not want to go out in this weather, we are getting a snow/ice storm today!

Quote by @%username% on %date%