Need To Make This Lace Covered Cake - Please Help!

Decorating By jrcakedesign Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 11:40pm by jrcakedesign

jrcakedesign Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 7

I have been asked by a friend to create the attached wedding cake and I am stumped on how this design was created. Is this fondant pieces that are cut out and created by hand?

PLEASE HELP! Any advice is Much Appreciated!

6 replies
MissBaritone Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 7

It looks like a fondant covered cake piped with royal icing

Lynnzee Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 7

I agree. It is covered in fondant with Piped Royal. Good luck on your friends cake!!!

summernoelle Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 7

That is a crewel work cake. I think Martha Stewart has some info either on her site, or in her book.

weirkd Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, I think Martha has that on her site if not, it was featured on something Ive seen before! But Im pretty sure they piped it. What I would do is either find a stencil that is similiar or try to copy the pattern and then use a pin to transfer the design onto the fondant. Then it will give you the design to pipe out without having to guess at it!

newmansmom2004 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 7

I've seen a cake just like this and it is the crewel-type design done in royal icing on fondant. The design is done making a series of (sort of) overlapping curved lines that mimic an embroidered or creweled line.

jrcakedesign Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 7

WOW! Thanks for all the great help! This site is wonderful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%