Need To Run To Store..does This Need Refrigeration????????

Decorating By steffla Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 5:17pm by -K8memphis

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 6

Here is wilton's recipe for pastry cream filling. Sounds good but I am doing a mmf covered cake and it usually doesnt do well in the fridge. Does this need to be refrigerated? The recipe doesnt mention it and some of their other recipes specifically say refrigerate.....Will be filling the cake tonight or tomorrow and it is for Friday night. What do you think?

Pastry Cream Filling
Our versatile Pastry Cream Filling works as well for éclairs and tortes as it does for cupcakes.

Source: Wedding Cakes - A Romantic Portfolio
Ingredients:

* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 6 tablespoons sugar
* 1 cup half & half or 1/2 cup whipping (heavy) cream plus 1/2 cup whole milk
* 4 egg yolks
* 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Makes: About 1 1/3 cups of filling.
Pastry Cream Filling

+ View Larger

instructions

In saucepan, blend all ingredients except vanilla. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture reaches the consistency of medium cream sauce. Remove from heat, add vanilla and cool quickly. To prevent a skin from forming, brush with melted butter. Stir before using.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone have any other recipe for a creamy vanilla kind of filling that doesnt need refrigeration???

5 replies
steffla Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 6

Does anyone know????? Thanks in advance!

steph

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 6

Yes that needs to be refrigerated.

brb...if my dsl doesn't goof me up.

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 6

This is an old old Wilton formula right out of ancient yearbooks.
I did not refrigerate it so much that I remember but that was before my brain was born too. There's no eggs in it so I think that makes it less hazardous--but I'm not 100% positive.

It's real creamy and real good.

Anyway-- from Wilton

French Buttercream

1 1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour

Combine ^^^ in a heavy saucepan

add to that

1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup of milk

Combine and heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils. It will look like lava with big slow bubbles--it will be the consistency of thick mud. You need to keep the bottom & sides of the pot scraped well or it will burn.

Chill completely until there's no heat left in it. I often put mine in the freezer.

Then put 4 sticks of slightly softened butter (1pound) in a mixer bowl with 2 teaspoons vanilla and beat to loosen up the butter.

Add the chilled mixture--beat well.

There you have Wilton's French Buttercream.

steffla Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you I will try that! Is it true that that is probably stabilized by the sugar and is safe out of the refigerator? Nobody ever got sick from it right?icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffla

Thank you I will try that! Is it true that that is probably stabilized by the sugar and is safe out of the refigerator? Nobody ever got sick from it right?icon_smile.gif

Nobody got sick from mine--yes that's correct. It never went bad like as a leftover or anything either.

As far as the science I don't really know. I would lean toward keeping it more refrigerated but I know I did not so much when I used this a lot in years gone by.

I mean it's been so long--maybe someone has an old yearbook and can look up what Wilton recommends.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%