Does Michigan Allow Home Base Kitchens?

Business By Sugarbooger03 Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 2:25pm by springlakecake

Sugarbooger03 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 21

Hi everyone! Please bare with me Im new and still learning how to get around on the website. If anyone can help me please let me know Ive been trying on michigan.gov but not really getting straight answer. Thanks so much!!!

20 replies
UltimateCakes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 21

No - MI will not legalize a home based kitchen.

FairyPoppins Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 21

Then I think it's about time us MI bakers banded together like the MD bakers to try and get the law changed. I think there are plenty of people here in MI who would love to start a home bakery business.

I have a 3 year old and there's no way I could afford to put him in daycare to go and work for minimum wage in a bakery.

I'll try and find out more info about contacts, etc. Let me know if you're interested in helping to change the current laws and we'll get together and see what we can do.

TheCakerator Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 21

wow fairypoppins, way to take charge! thumbs_up.gif It sure would be nice to be able to bake from home, even if it's just the cottage law like Ohio!

FairyPoppins Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 21

You know I'm fed up of people telling me what I can't do. I came here 5 years ago from the UK. I have a Bachelors degree in elementary education and was a class teacher for 11 years. My degree and experience mean nothing here, so I am essentially unqualified and the best job I've been offered is a daycare assistant for $8.50 an hour. That sucks. I feel my education and talent are being wasted. I'm not prepared to put my family in debt in this economy by going back to school. I could however have a small business making cakes at home. I think sometimes you have to stop accepting the rules and start changing them.

I'll get off my Rosa Parks soapbox now and stop venting! (Plus I have chocolate WASC about to come out of the oven!!)

smbegg Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 21

You may want to check, but I believe that in certain areas you can get your kitchen legal. But you need to check your individual areas.

Stephanie

sportsmom005 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyPoppins

Then I think it's about time us MI bakers banded together like the MD bakers to try and get the law changed. I think there are plenty of people here in MI who would love to start a home bakery business.

I have a 3 year old and there's no way I could afford to put him in daycare to go and work for minimum wage in a bakery.

I'll try and find out more info about contacts, etc. Let me know if you're interested in helping to change the current laws and we'll get together and see what we can do.

I'm VERY interested!!! Let me know what I can do to help!

Jaimelt76 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyPoppins

I agree and am interested in changing this law. I have looked into all my options of becoming legal and it doesn't pay for me right now with the economy the way it is. Let me know also if I can help. Jaime

godsgood Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 21

I'm in!

mkolmar Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:47pm
post #10 of 21

I'm in too.

I've been talking to lots of churches, VFW's and halls but so far only one call back that might possibly work out to rent a kitchen.
(I use to rent in OH--long story but don't any more. So much easier in OH than in MI.)

Unfortunately, there are no areas in MI where you can bake from home. I was told I could by my township to only find out that the state doesn't allow it and that I would be liable even if I was told by the township I could. It's all up to the state. Not the area you live in MI. Wish it was easier.

handymama Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:04pm
post #11 of 21

I'm in MI and my home-based bakery was inspected and licensed this past Oct. We added on to the back of our garage, and my "commute" is 12 steps. I'm sitting in it right now and loving it! As a former poster said, it comes down to what your particular township will allow.

mkolmar Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:21pm
post #12 of 21

Oops. Guess I should have clarified. You can have a home based kitchen in MI but you can't do it out of your reg. kitchen like you can in OH. That's what I meant. Sorry. icon_redface.gif Some people convert their garages over to being legal kitchens. I know here on CC Mike is making a legal kitchen above his apartment and he's in Detroit MI

SugaredUp Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:56am
post #13 of 21

Actually, I thought Mike was in Roseville...?

Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, count me in. I'm fed up with being told what to do. This licensing crap is ridiculous. We can't even decide who can watch our kids anymore, now babysitters have to be licensed, too. Just a way for Uncle Sam to get some more of our $$!

Sheesh

springlakecake Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:04pm
post #14 of 21

I am in Michigan and as stated above the kitchen needs to be a completely separte kitchen from your living quarters. My commercial kitchen (in my basement) is nearly done! I am so excited!!! It actually wasnt as bad dealing with the dept of agriculture as I thought. They have been really helpful (here anyway). It is costing me more than i thought (about 9K). I originally thought it would be closer to 5K, but the contractors (just electrician mostly) ate up about 3K. You do need a lot of stuff (3basin sink, commercial fridge, mop sink, hand sink etc etc.) First thing you should do if you are interested is check with zoning in your area.

handymama Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:31pm
post #15 of 21

Hey Merissa--where are you located? How big will your kitchen be, and do you have extra storage outside of it? I'm always interested in how people use their space since most of us with approved home bakeries don't have a lot of square footage.

SugaredUp Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:39am
post #16 of 21

Merissa, I think the inspectors are nicer than some think too. Mine is really helpful (so far). Congrats on your new endeavor! I am a big CC fan of yours. I'm glad you're not too close to where I live!!! hahaha

springlakecake Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:20pm
post #17 of 21

Handymama, I am in Spring Lake near grand haven. My kitchen is about 220 square feet. It is NOT big by the time you put in all those sinks and the big commercial fridge and freezer!! But it is enough. Also here zoning wont allow the business to be more than 10% of our total square footage. I do not plan to have storage outside of the kitchen. I am not sure if they really allow it (dept of agriculture). However, I did ask the inspector about having some storage for non food items (boxes,pans etc) and I thought she said that I could, but I am not sure that is what the regulations really say. Maybe she was going to let it slide, I dont know. But as of now, I plan on keeping everything in the kitchen. I purchased a bin rack from sams (its kind of like a shelf with a bunch of little bins for my tools and stuff. I also bought a big shelving unit. I want to get upper cabinets for food storage, but I just cant spend any more money right now! I have to save up a little. I think what i have will do....It will have to! Maybe I will go down and take a picture later and post it.

handymama Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:28pm
post #18 of 21

Love to see a picture! Also, someone was advertising on craigslist looking for a cake decorator in your area for a wedding cake--might want to check it out.

kneadacookie Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:30pm
post #19 of 21

certain counties are different too. i know i checked in oakland county and they were very strict!! they wouldn't even talk to me. it was just NO!
i was lucky enough to find a kitchen to rent, but it's about 45 minutes away. with 5 kids, it doesn't always make sense for me to have to schlepp so far out just for 1 or 2 orders.
i think so many of the church's don't have to be inspected because they only do bake sales or spaghetti dinners or whatever. they don't want to have to come up to code. so they don't rent. most businesses are already using their space and don't want to share.
i always thought that maybe the money is not in doing decorated cookies, but in running a kitchen rental. i'd love to have a giant ktichen and rent out to several budding businesses.

BakeLoveMom Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:51pm
post #20 of 21

I'm in too, if you are serious...let me know what I can do to help. I have two small children and I currently work at the local hospital 2 12's, but coming fall I will have to quit and stay home, because I can't get my kids to and from their separate schools and watched until I get home without spending my entire paycheck. I have been doing cakes on the side, but nothing steady, I average about 2 party cakes a week and about one wedding cake a month...I would love to know how we could change the law.

Thanks,
Sarah

springlakecake Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:25pm
post #21 of 21

Well don't count me in since I just spent 9K on my new kitchen LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%