Refridgeratingfondant

Decorating By harrisonsmama Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 4:14pm by Gefion

harrisonsmama Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 4

I have just been hired as the Executive Designer at a new cupkae shop/cakery. I have been doing fondant cakes for years and have nver put them in the fridge for fear they would weep. I feel limited in what I can fill them with - no creams, fresh berries, custards-etc. The kitchen I will be workign in is very close to the decorating station and I fear that if the cakes are left on racks they will be affected by the heat from the ovens. What do you all do?

3 replies
CakeMommyTX Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 4

I put my fondant cakes in the fridge all the time, no problem. Just let them sit after you pull them out and don't touch them, they will be a little tacky but the moisture will evaporate and they will be fine.

socalcakegirl Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 4

I was told the color will come off the fondant when it is refrigerated, is that true?

Gefion Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 4

Whether or not you can succesfully refridgerate a fondant covered cake depends on how humid your fridge is. So there's only one solution: Give it a try and see how it works out. I can put elaborate royal iced lambeth cakes in my fridge no problem, while others can't.

As for colors coming off, I have never experienced it myself, but colors can bleed if the environment is humid.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%