Wilton Cake Class 2 Question

Decorating By pumpkin112 Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 6:53am by Carolynlovescake

pumpkin112 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 18

I am new to this, I am starting the wilton cake class 2 and wanted to know if I should purchase the class kit or purchase the master tips. I have coupons that would make them half off. I get this alot of these coupons and could buy the stuff as I need it. I will take the next series o classes also and I just want to buy what makes the most money sense

17 replies
Mom2LiamandQuinn Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 18

I always recommend buying the kit, particularly for Course 2 since you will need the oval pan set. The master tip kit comes with a lot of tips that I find students will rarely or never use.

Mom2LiamandQuinn Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 18

I always recommend buying the kit, particularly for Course 2 since you will need the oval pan set. The master tip kit comes with a lot of tips that I find students will rarely or never use.

ddaigle Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 18

You will definately need the kit. I took the course already having lots of decorating stuff and still had to buy the kit because the pans you bake your final cake in are not sold separately.

julzs71 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 18

When I taught the class, I told them if they just wanted to get the extra tips they could do that. I have never used the pans after the class.

ddaigle Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 18

The pans are quite an odd shape. I used them the other day "just because". They are not something I would've ran out to buy.

pumpkin112 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 18

I think I might just get the tips because I don't think I will ever use the pans again either> Our instructor said the choice is mine

something_sweet Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 18

I would get the kit. You should be able to use a 40% or 50% off coupon and get it at Michaels or AC Moore. The kit also has the flower formers that you will need to let your flowers dry.

Wing-Ding Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 18

I got the kit. I thought it was helpful. I actually have used the pans more than twice as well. I also bought the extra tips because I knew I would go further with the decorating.

I guess it just depends on your level of seriousness.

Teekakes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:48pm
post #10 of 18

I too purchased the kit and have used the pans a few times. No doubt they will be used again. icon_smile.gif
The master tip set is great to have as well. Use your coupons and get it all! thumbs_up.gif

flowermom Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:48pm
post #11 of 18

My instructor said to purchase the kit because you can't purchase the oval pan separately. I don't know if that is still true, and there is always ebay if decide you want an oval pan. I love my pans and use them quite a bit. I actually am getting rid of my wilton tips and starting to replace them the brand my cake store carries (and I believe global sugar art also. I like the atco brand better than my wilton ones.) It's definitely a matter of opinion and what you will think you will end up using in the long run.

Happy Baking!

jer702 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:49pm
post #12 of 18

I just completed course 2 two weeks ago and I did use the kit becuase the pans were needed in order to do the final cake. Just rememer coupons are your friends and it definately makes it easier.

ddaigle Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:07pm
post #13 of 18

I'm sure some instructors may allow a different size cake in for the "final"....but you really need those flower formers. I guess you could buy those separately though.

MaisieBake Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:44pm
post #14 of 18

What happens if you do the final cake with pans that you already own? Will it go down on your permanent record? Make you red-shirt your freshman year at Cake College? Maybe the Fondant coach will rethink offering you a full-ride scholarship?

pumpkin112 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:06pm
post #15 of 18

If you don't buy the kit you have to repeat the course. hahaha

gscout73 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:06pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

What happens if you do the final cake with pans that you already own? Will it go down on your permanent record? Make you red-shirt your freshman year at Cake College? Maybe the Fondant coach will rethink offering you a full-ride scholarship?

icon_lol.gif Very funny... when I took the course 2, the "kit" did not have pans so you were not required to work with such an odd shape. And we students ended up buying more tips (various sizes) anyway. So what did I do? Use the hex shape (I fell in love with the versatility from the very start.)

TexasSugar Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:12am
post #17 of 18

As a WMI I'd suggest buying the kit. I'm not sure what all tips come in the master's set, but if you go that route I'd check to see if what is used in C2 is in there.

As was mentioned the kit comes with two cake pans (have used them many times, it is a great one mix between the two, small family size cake), the flower formers and a packet of color flow.

I think you will find yourself spending more money buying the master's kit, the flower formers and the color flow mix, than you would just to buy the kit.

I have the master's tip set, as well as the smaller one, and they come with alot of times I just never use. It doesn't mean that you won't find uses for them, they just aren't all tips you'd use alot of. I always tell my students instead of trying to buy all the different tips that are out there, I find it more helpful to spend the money on mutiplies on tips you use all the time.

Carolynlovescake Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:53am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

What happens if you do the final cake with pans that you already own?

You didn't know... you don't get your course certificate! (I am so totally joking).

I tell my students they can do a cake from their own pans. You just have to make a template to section it off and that's what a 5 minutes process at the most.

I say get the kit. Those pans make great foot balls, wonderful easter eggs and when I need a small cake those are perfect and there is always the comment "I love that shape!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%