How Do I Know Which Square Pans To Buy?

Decorating By vtcake Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 10:37am by soygurl

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 15

I know Wilton makes the perfectly square pans. But I just found Fat Daddio's. Which do you use and/or prefer? Thanks from a new cake baker!

14 replies
Kimzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimzie Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 15

Hi vtcake,
Well in my personal opinion, I think they both work great. As long as you grease or spray with a baking spray properly. Not sure if this helps you? but I hope it did somewhat. As I'm fairly new to cake decorating myself, I'm still learning. icon_smile.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 15

I really like Magic Line over either of the brands mentioned. In the end it comes down to what works for you. Look for good deals and give them all a try before you commit to a brand.

vtcake Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks for such quick replies! Lois

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 15

Definitely Magic Line all the way. You will never regret buying great pans.

And I would actually purchase the Wilton higher end pans over the Fat Daddio. And I hate almost every product Wilton makes.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:02am
post #6 of 15

Seriously... Magic Line.

I work at a large local bakery (makes cakes four for locations, and 100+ wedding cakes per year), and the difference between our Magic Line pans, and all the other brands* is ASTOUNDING. These pans get a LOT of use, and a LOT of abuse (use every day mostly, thrown into the sink, bashed around, etc.); the other brands are totally bent out of shape and dented. The Magic Line pans look totally fine... clearly not brand new, but NOT dented or bent at all.

*I don't know what other brands of cake pans we have, so I can't attest to the quality of the pans you expressed interest... just that we have 3 other types of cake pans, and they are all equally bad compared to the ML pans (which I can tell apart since their logo is marked on the bottom of each pan... though I can tell at a glance anyway, lol).

I should mention that if I was buying for personal/low volume use, and I found a really good deal on some other brand, I would probably go with the better deal. For a business I would go with ML if there was any way to work it into the budget. Quality is SO important for high volume.[/i]

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:13am
post #7 of 15

Magic Line, without a doubt.

I have one Fat Daddio's pan, and the only thing I like about it is the name.

vtcake Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks to all...I am going with the majority. I am just a beginner baker for family only, but will be doing my sister's wedding cake, and it needs to be perfect!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:33pm
post #9 of 15

I also like Magic Line and I have some unknown brand I got at my local restaurant supply that I swear is magic line but just without the stamp on the back! haha

I HATE wilton square pans as the edges are rounded alittle. They don't match up nicely with the sharp edges I get with my magic line.

I have one fat daddio pan and I dont care for it either, as it dented very easily. (I also throw my pans around alot, I have a very deep sink and I just toss them in there when I am taking cakes out to be washed later)

leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:02pm
post #10 of 15

loriemoms, I have some of those pans as well, and someone told me they're likely Allied. They are unmarked but look and perform like ML.

Fat Daddio's I don't care for at all.

likitiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
likitiki Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:02pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

loriemoms, I have some of those pans as well, and someone told me they're likely Allied. They are unmarked but look and perform like ML.

Fat Daddio's I don't care for at all.

Can I ask what it is about Fat Daddio's pans that you do not like?

leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:30pm
post #12 of 15

Sure.
1. Although the sides are 90 degrees, the bottom of the corner is rounded. Makes no sense and you just have to build it up with icing.

2. My biggest complaint and why I will never buy another one, they require special handling. Per the company they perform best at 300 degrees. Not a problem IF all my pans were one brand. But since I load up the oven with a variety of pans in a variety of sizes, one or two pans that require special baking temps make them worse than useless. I can not stop and examine each pan and remember "oh yes this is the one that requires a different temp." I'm beginning to think of them as 'Princess Pans' you know, special, but not in a good way.

3. I am also convinced that the same amount of batter in the same size pan does not bake up as high in the FD pans. I suspect the very slick finish. I also believe that the finish makes them easy to clean, but . . .

Obviously these are my opinions and experiences. Your mileage may vary.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:12pm
post #13 of 15

I agree with Leah..I noticed they just dont bake right when you throw them in the oven with the rest of your other pans. At 325, the edges get too dark. I guess they would be fine if that is all you were using...

I agree, they do clean up nicely.

likitiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
likitiki Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:28am
post #14 of 15

Thanks! I have a few that were given to me, 11x7 and 9x13. I was wondering if there would be any difference with another brand of pan. The slightly rounded corners do get on my nerves. I did not know about the batter not baking up as high.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:37am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Ooo, I think we have some of those too! I always kinda though they were just older ML (thinking maybe the marking was a new thing, lol icon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gificon_redface.gif ), but now that you mention it, Allied sounds familiar too... I think my boss has mentioned it. icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%