Cake Topper

Decorating By Curr Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 3:34pm by Curr

Curr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curr Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:09am
post #1 of 4

One more question- my wedding is at an apple orchard and i want the cake topper to be an apple tree with me and my fiance under the tree- does anybody have any advice on the best way to make this tree- should i carve styrofoam then cover it is in fondant and use buttercream accents ( i want to use fondant because most of my cake will be made with fondant - but i am really having a hard time figuring out the best way to do this - if anybody has any advice i would love to hear it - thanks again!

3 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:08am
post #2 of 4

Hi, I would make the topper with 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant or CMC/tylose powder added fondant.

And I would make it on a small thin board, smaller than the cake which its going on. If the cake is 8", get a 5" thin cake board. That way, you can take it off from the cake and you can keep it too!

I haven't made trees at all. You might have to insert a wooden skewer in the tree trunk for support. I normaly use a dry speghetti for people. But don't think its strong enough for the tree.

HTH. icon_biggrin.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 4

For the tree on top of my jungle cake I made an armature out of skewers and wire, covered that in fondant and made the leafs out of green rice krispies. The green rice krispies look just like leaves, but you could cover it in fondant if you wanted you.

Curr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curr Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 4

thank you so much for your advice - that's probably exactly what i'm going to do

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%