Chocolate Covered Oreos Question

Decorating By ShabbyChic_Confections Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 11:48pm by newmansmom2004

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:19am
post #1 of 36

I'm in a time crunch and I was wondering if I make chocolate covered oreos in the next couple of days and then I freeze them for valentine's day, will they be ok? and how do I thaw them??

Thank you.

35 replies
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:18am
post #2 of 36

Anyone?

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:33am
post #3 of 36

You shouldn't be freezing chocolate at all.

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:39am
post #4 of 36

Thank you, I guess I'll have to buy more molds to make it quicker since there are only five per mold.

Has anybody tried making the on the mini muffing pan?

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 36

The mini muffin pan would be to small, you could try a regular muffing pan. Spinning leaf molds have 6 cavities each, and they are good quality molds, I would get several of those.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 36

You could very easily mold them now, place them in an airtight container, and put them in the fridge. They'll keep just fine. If you're worried about absorption of food smells, place the cookies in freezer bags before placing them in the containers. These cookies have a very long shelf life!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 36

why do you think they'll go bad in just a couple of days? Geesh, do you know how long those cookies sit in pantries (and in warehouses) all over america?

GeminiRJ Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

why do you think they'll go bad in just a couple of days? Geesh, do you know how long those cookies sit in pantries (and in warehouses) all over america?

Kinda like Twinkies! Don't they have a shelf life of like, I don't know, 100 years?

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 36

I don't recommend freezing or refrigerating these. The temp change will cause condensation and possibly discolor your finished product. Putting them in an airtight container out of direct light and heat is a good idea, but no freezer or frig.

They will last a good while that way. If you doubt that, just make a run to all the stores that have been selling V-day candy since the day after Christmas!!

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:11pm
post #10 of 36

I wanted to start making them today for valentines day, but I guess you're right, I can just keep the in the fridge.

here is a tutorial that I found:

http://tinyurl.com/cn25ec

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:13pm
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChic_Confections

I'm in a time crunch and I was wondering if I make chocolate covered oreos in the next couple of days and then I freeze them for valentine's day, will they be ok? and how do I thaw them??

Thank you.

I made some chocolate covered oreos using candy melts about a week and a half ago. I had intended to let hubby take them to his office but I hated the molds (Wilton) and the cookies didn't turn out very well because the molds are just too small for the cookie. So I've left them all in a rubbermaid container on the counter and we've been slowly munching on them and they're just as good today as they were a week and a half ago. I don't see any reason to even refrigerate them as long as your house isn't warm enough to make the chocolate melty.

Even tho they didn't turn out perfectly like I wanted - boy, they sure taste good! Bet they'd be even better with some good quality chocolate!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:16pm
post #12 of 36

Do not refrigerate your choc covererd Oreos. They are FINE at room temp or cool room temp. I have some from before Christmas and they are fine. Their shelf life is 6 months, easy. Just refer to the expiry date on the bag of cookies.

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:19pm
post #13 of 36

6 months??? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif great news, I can't wait to see how they turn out, I will also be making chocolate covered pretzels and cookies with Antonia's icing.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:20pm
post #14 of 36

You can even sit them out on a plate or just in a loosly covered container. Once the cookie is dipped / molded with choc it stays fresh for weeks. The choc outside keeps the cookie fresh underneath with no problem.
My family loves these and I make them and just sit them on a plate or just in an open container on my pantry shelf and they stay fresh for a very very long time ! I will be making some for v/day this week also ! Not to worry !!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:24pm
post #15 of 36

Ditto what Leahs said. I have some from Christmas (made them weeks before) and they are still fine. I kept them in an airtight container,seperated the layers by parchment.

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:29pm
post #16 of 36

This really caught my eye - I've never heard of dipping oreos in chocolate. Is this regular chocolate or white chocolate?

I've heard of dipping ritz crackers with peanut butter (sandwiches) in white chocolate and its awesome but i'm surprised oreos need anything - they are awesome alone.

fiddlesticks Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:36pm
post #17 of 36

And 2x as awesome dipped in choc LOL!! You can use any flavor choc you want .
I also dip the ritz crackers .. Yummy to!

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:57pm
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaK

I've heard of dipping ritz crackers with peanut butter (sandwiches) in white chocolate and its awesome but i'm surprised oreos need anything - they are awesome alone.

I've heard that dipping Ritz in mint-flavored chocolate will make them taste like the Girl Scout thin mints. I've never tried it because I dont' consider ANY girl scout cookie edible in any form (BIG bleck!!!!) They have some nerve calling these things "food".

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:00pm
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaK

I've heard that dipping Ritz in mint-flavored chocolate will make them taste like the Girl Scout thin mints. I've never tried it because I dont' consider ANY girl scout cookie edible in any form (BIG bleck!!!!) They have some nerve calling these things "food".

I agree with you!!! the funny thing is that I don't even care that much for oreos, they're way too sweet for me, but I like making goodies for others!!

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:14pm
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChic_Confections

I agree with you!!! the funny thing is that I don't even care that much for oreos, they're way too sweet for me, but I like making goodies for others!!

Me, too! We have a standing joke about how I don't even allow them in my house, but 16 year old will buy some and in a loud whisper, say, "Dad! Dont' tell mom! I got Oreos!" I think they taste like black sugar.

But ..... reading all of the oreo threads and hearing what people are selling these things for? I'm on the internet now ordering molds!! thumbs_up.gif Cha-CHING!!

fiddlesticks Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:29pm
post #21 of 36

indydebi icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Spinning leaf molds Are the best I think even if they cost slightly more. Yes they do taste like Girl Scout thin mints, I love girl scout cookies!
icon_razz.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:38pm
post #22 of 36

Indy :icon_eek.gif: you don't like Thin Mints, or Samoas or Tagalongs? I'm pretty sure I'll need to turn you in to Homeland Security, because that's un-American.

OTOH, more for me.

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:42pm
post #23 of 36

I'll rather eat a bowl of fruits than oreos, I may eat one or two, but that's all I can handle. My DS can eat a whole package in a day, that's why I don't buy then that often.

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:46pm
post #24 of 36

I might be able to gag down ONE mint but that is it .... and don't make me do more than one a year.

fiddlesticks Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:18pm
post #25 of 36

Oh Love them, makes me want to go pull a box out of my freezer !

GeminiRJ Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:31pm
post #26 of 36

So am I the only one who likes chocolate best when it's cold? We always put the covered Oreos, candy bars, etc. in the fridge. (My parents preferred their candy bars in the freezer, but I never liked how hard the Milky Ways got!) I've never had a problem with the chocolate discoloring. Hmmm.

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:05am
post #27 of 36

Now, you give me milk chocolate with almonds and that's another story, I remeber eat in a bag a day of hersheys kisses with almonds!! icon_eek.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:45am
post #28 of 36

I don't like Oreos unless they are dipped in chocolate. icon_smile.gif They will definitely be fine until Valentine's Day...if you don't eat them all yourself before then. Good luck!

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:52pm
post #29 of 36

Gemini- my family likes frozen candy bars and we love the Hersheys kisses after they have been chilled. I have never tried the dipped oreos, but now I want to.

marcy11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcy11 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:27pm
post #30 of 36

frozen m&m's are great too!! does anyone know if you can color milk chocolate black with candy color? I have someone who wants pink and black oreos, but does not only want to use white chocolate. She wants some milk chocolate as well. Do you think that would work?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%