Preferred Cake Pan Brands?

Business By evasmama Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 12:36pm by Kim_in_CajunCountry

evasmama Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:33am
post #1 of 15

I currently bake for family and friends, and things are picking up. My only cake pans so far are really nice ones from Williams-Sonoma. I LOVE them- nice and heavy with rolled edges. However, I want to get some sizes they don't offer, so I'm looking for other brands.

I've seen a lot of Fat Daddio pans on Amazon and Global Sugar Art, but don't know the quality or if they're recommended by pros. I saw Wilton pans at a store, but they seemed thin and cheap.

What would you guys recommend? I'll probably buy online.

14 replies
Juds2323 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:31am
post #2 of 15

I love LOVE Love my magic line. They are great! Work wonderful and have nice straight sides, my squares have sharp corners. I got mine from countrykitchensa.com

HTH

Judi

cakeandpartygirl Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:41am
post #3 of 15

I 2nd the magic line. But if you want to use the wilton ones you have to get the decorator preffered pans i believe which are the top of the line of wilton brand.

paddlegirl14 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:42am
post #4 of 15

I have used wilton, not my favorite. Had to use them in a pinch. I have used mainly spring form pans, because I have made many more cheesecakes than cans. I do like calphalon, but they don't come in many sizes either. I know that isn't much help, sorry.

chutzpah Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:48am
post #5 of 15

I third Magic Line. Well worth the extra $$!

The regular Wilton ones totally suck.

Trevie Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:12am
post #6 of 15

I use Fat Daddio's and Magic Line. If I had a choice because I own both kinds I would use Magic Line. Both are same weight, but Magic Line seem to have a slightly larger spread at the top so when your cake shrinks ( I hate shrinkage and I mean that icon_smile.gif )it seems to come out more even from top to bottom. HTH

cambo Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:09pm
post #7 of 15

NO CONTEST....Magice Line all the way!

saap1204 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:18pm
post #8 of 15

I own the Wilton Decorator Preferred pans (round and square) and have never had a problem with any of them. However, I only bake for family and friends. I throw them in the dishwasher, too, without a problem.

Mac Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:22pm
post #9 of 15

I have both Magic Line and Fat Daddio's. I LOVE the Fat Daddio's--you bake at a lower temp (325 for my oven) and they have less crumbs--my crumb coating is almost clean. They come in the odd sizes round pans and in 2", 3" and some in 4" deep.

Susie53 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:22pm
post #10 of 15

Magic Line

mgdqueen Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:29pm
post #11 of 15

Definitely agreed with above...Magic Line!

leah_s Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:05pm
post #12 of 15

I do not like my Fat Daddios pans. Well, pan, becasue I only bought the one before I discovered what a pain they are.

I have always recommended Magic Line and always will. However . . . . I have been informed that those unmarked pans that I bought from CK, thinking they were ML, are actually made by Allied. And all these years I thought they were ML.

Mac Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:13pm
post #13 of 15

Pain??? Fat Daddios???

PatricesPieces Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:47am
post #14 of 15

Magic Line....100% magic line. Love them.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 12:36pm
post #15 of 15

Magic Line! I picked some up at a local supplier because I needed some sizes I didn't have in Wilton pans. I used both Wilton and Magic Line to bake cakes from the same batch of mix and I was quite surprised at the difference. First, I always bake at 325. But I was amazed at how pretty the edges were compared to the Wilton pans. The cakes baked in the Wilton pans had darker edges and more crumbs. The cakes baked in the Magic Line pans were much lighter and smoother.

I now plan on gradually replacing the Wilton pans with ML pans as my budget allows.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%