Boiled Sugar And Stenciling

Decorating By uberathlete Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 5:17am by BlakesCakes

uberathlete Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uberathlete Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:09am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone. I'm planning on using stencils where I'd pour some melted sugar in to create some garnishes and parts for structures but I'm not sure what material the stencil should be. I read in some site that regular cardboard can be used for the stencil. I'm really quite lost on this so if anyone has ideas and/or suggestions on materials and/or methods it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

4 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:24am
post #2 of 5

I've never heard of cardboard being used....not to say that that means a whole lot. If I were using cardboard, I would consider covering edges that would come in contact with the sugar with foil then lightly lubricating.

I have heard of people using neoprene.

uberathlete Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uberathlete Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:31am
post #3 of 5

Hmm ... neoprene. Is that expensive? I'm wondering whether acetate can withstand the heat of boiled sugar.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:36am
post #4 of 5

I'm trying to find the site that had oodles of equipment/supplies that I had found a while back....

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:17am
post #5 of 5

No, acetate won't tolerate the heat of poured sugar. For the most part, you wouldn't actually use "stencils" with poured sugar. You'd use molds or cut outs for castings. Sugar has to have some thickness in order to hold it's shape and to not melt or distort under normal conditions.

You can buy and cut neoprene sheets (generally from marine supply shops) in varying thicknesses, but it is expensive and has an odor. I doubt that it's considered food safe, so decos made in it probably shouldn't be eaten.

You can cast in play-doh that's been cut out (I use small cookie cutters). That's non-toxic & kids eat it, sometimes, so that would probably be the cheapest way.

You can make your own molds out of silicone or other food safe molding compounds. A bit pricier than play-doh, but doable.

You can buy some lovely silicone molds from firstimpressionsmolds.com. They are able to tolerate the heat of poured sugar and are very versatile.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%