Technical Question - Angled Layers

Decorating By KathyHT Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 11:58pm by MBoyd

KathyHT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyHT Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:10am
post #1 of 6

I have a cake in mind that I'd like to make out of a couple of different size sculpted, split and filled 2" cakes. I'd like to lay one flat and the other at an angle on the cake that is flat.

The question I have is...Do I need a cake board under the angled cake? If so do I frost the backside of the angled cake to hide the cake board or is there something else that can be used?

5 replies
KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:53am
post #2 of 6

I'm having trouble visualizing what you are asking. Are you talking about one tier being regular, no strange angles, two layers...then second tier being two layers, cut on an angle (like a topsy turvy type)? If so, I would use a cake board and some type of support (like a few dowels). Or are you talking about something different?

KathyHT Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 6

Okay...a picture is worth a 1000 words. Here is a quick sketch of what I'm refering to. I didn't go into detail on the sculpting each cake. Do I use a cake board under the angeled cake or back fill with leftover pieces?
LL

Neddyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neddyk Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 6

I would definetly use a board but make sure to use a lot of frosting or melted chocolate to adheare the cake to the board so that it doesn't slide off. thumbs_up.gif

KathyHT Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you! You helped settle that debate...hubby won. One more part of the question left to answer. Can I frost the underside of the board so the board is hidden? Will it weaken the board? If it's not a good idea what does one suggest I do?

MBoyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBoyd Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 6

I would also use a board, but for stability, I would put a support or two in the spot where the angled cake rests on the flat cake.

If you're using a cardboard circle for your board, frosting it will probably make it mushy. Maybe you could cover it in fondant in a matching color?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%