Too Fun!

Baking By ColeAlayne Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 6:57pm by pkinkema

ColeAlayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColeAlayne Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:19am
post #1 of 27

I finished my first batch of cookies today decorated with RI.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1307005.html

Why didn't anyone tell me cookies were so much fun?! It beats the heck out of trying to ice smooth buttercream icon_biggrin.gif How do you store a big batch like this? Do you wrap each one?

26 replies
cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:43am
post #2 of 27

Very nice cookies! If you are just storing them for personal consumption, I would put them in a plastic container with sheets of waxed paper or parchment between. If they are for an order or if you are giving them away, how about bagging each and closing the bag with a coordinating ribbon? Or you can do a few cookies in a take-out type container. I bet the stores are starting to carry Valentine's Day containers now. The possibilities are endless. Have fun!

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:36am
post #3 of 27

It is addicting, I know I've been cookie crazed lately and looking forward to excuses to try new designs. Yours came out very nice and I might have to borrow some of your ideas thumbs_up.gif

sugarbees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbees Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:03am
post #4 of 27

Those are too cute..way cuter than a regular heart..great job.. I would package individualy..

ColeAlayne Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:49am
post #5 of 27

Thanks for all the nice comments and suggestions. Again, I had a blast making them and I'm already thinking about what to do with my next batch icon_lol.gif I may take these to work or just give them to family.

Love the take-out container idea...you could even wrap them individually 1st. Individually wrapped cookies with a patterned ribbon would be very cute!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeAlayne

Thanks for all the nice comments and suggestions. Again, I had a blast making them and I'm already thinking about what to do with my next batch icon_lol.gif I may take these to work or just give them to family.

Love the take-out container idea...you could even wrap them individually 1st. Individually wrapped cookies with a patterned ribbon would be very cute!

Very cute, yes! And you did such a wonderful job on the cookies! You'll be surprised how the packaging you're considering will take them to an even higher level. Welcome to the obsession that is cookie decorating!

ColeAlayne Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 27

My DH will be so excited that I have acquired yet another obsession icon_biggrin.gif

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 27

just put my first batch of cookies in the oven....the dobord thing was great....i posted how i made my 9.99 version of this tool.....the dough tasted great and it rolled and cut wonderfully, i can't wait to see how they bake....i have always hated cut outs but today was quick and fun so far....i have to go make the icing next......

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

You'll be surprised how the packaging you're considering will take them to an even higher level. Welcome to the obsession that is cookie decorating!

You are so right about that! Last week, I made snowflake and mitten cookies. They were all appreciated icon_razz.gif , but the ones that I put in individual cellophane bags with silver twist ties got compliments like, "Wow, you could go into business and sell these." So, yes, packaging makes them look really special.

BTW, your cookies already DO look special -- it's hard to believe they're your first batch!

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:26pm
post #10 of 27

Okay, Hammer1....where did you post instructions on how to make your 9.99 version of the dobord? Details....I need details! icon_wink.gif

ColeAlayne Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:27pm
post #11 of 27

Thanks JGMB! I felt like a little kid coloring. I used to doodle constantly in college...maybe it paid off.

I can't wait to package up a few for Valentine's. I"ll have to check into this doughboard thing too.

hammer1 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:49pm
post #12 of 27

posted the 9.99 dobord under ght forum cookie heading and titled it dobord for $9.99.

hammer1 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:52pm
post #13 of 27

posted the 9.99 dobord under ght forum cookie heading and titled it dobord for $9.99.

ColeAlayne Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:44pm
post #14 of 27

How much would you charge for these if they were individually wrapped and tied with ribbon?

GeminiRJ Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:07pm
post #15 of 27

Generally, the going rate as suggested on CC is to charge $1 per inch for the cookie and the cost of the packaging added to that. You can adjust the price depending on complexityof design and what you think your area will bear.

ColeAlayne Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:35pm
post #16 of 27

The hearts are about 3" but the design is rather simple. I have a guilt complex when it comes to pricing. I was thinking $1.75/each or $20/dozen.

teswade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teswade Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:01pm
post #17 of 27

They look so nice. Mine never trun out like that.

GeminiRJ Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:34pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:

The hearts are about 3" but the design is rather simple. I have a guilt complex when it comes to pricing. I was thinking $1.75/each or $20/dozen.

I understand the whole guilt thing, but don't sell yourself too cheap! Figure out how many you could get done in an hour. Four? At $1.75 each, that's only a $7 an hour wage, not counting the cost of materials. Six? Now you're up to $10.50 an hour...much better! But you still have to figure in materials.

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:08pm
post #19 of 27

So for those of us who haven't jumped on the cookie bandwagon (cookies are way tooooooo easy to eat as opposed to a whole cake!), just how did you do the design? Did you pipe a border and then fill in??

ColeAlayne Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:11pm
post #20 of 27

If I don't count the dough prep/baking time, I figured each cookie took me 2 minutes to decorate. Add on 1 more minute for packaging. The designs were very simple. That equates to 20 cookies in an hour or about $35/hr minus materials.

NuttyNanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NuttyNanny Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:31pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:

I finished my first batch of cookies today decorated with RI.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1307005.html

Why didn't anyone tell me cookies were so much fun?! It beats the heck out of trying to ice smooth buttercream icon_biggrin.gif How do you store a big batch like this? Do you wrap each one?

Love your cookies....so pretty! Would you mind sharing your RI recipe! I've always done my in BC but wanted to try RI. The only problem I've had before with RI is it is sooo hard! Yuck! Or if anyone else out there knows of a good RI recipe I would greatly appreciate ya sharing. Thanks.

ColeAlayne Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:45pm
post #22 of 27

I used the RI recipe from the "How To Bake and Decorate Cookies" article on CC. It was easy to make. I did not outline 1st but just flooded the whole cookie at once. You start on the outside edge and then just keep spiraling until you fill in the whole cookie. I would probably outline first if the design was more complex. On the swirl cookies I did the outline/swirl first, let it dry a few minutes and then filled in the rest.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:30pm
post #23 of 27

Ah, but you MUST count the dough prep/baking time, and the bagging/boxing time, and the clean up time, and the electricity or gas for the oven... PLEASE count all of your time and costs - it's more than you think.

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:28pm
post #24 of 27

I nearly always bag my larger cookies in bags with ribbon. Smaller cookies I bag two to a bag. I found the following web site where you can print out box templets. I printed some out, printed on card stock, laminated them, and put a 4 inch heart cookie in them. They looked great and I already have tons of friends wanting some for their family for Valentine's Day. With a 4 inch heart, my time and materials I am charging $7 each. I have orders for 15 already and not one of them said anything about that being too much!

www.karenscookies.net

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:29pm
post #25 of 27

Sorry, I meant to tell you where to find the templets on the website. Go to the idea area and scroll down and you'll find a bus in a box and that is where the link to the templets are. Have fun!!

cvoges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvoges Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:41pm
post #26 of 27

Your cookies look great!

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:57pm
post #27 of 27

Twopeasinapos: Thanks for the template tips. Those are great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%