Cupcake Stand, Need Advice

Baking By karateka Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 12:52am by CookiezNCupcakez

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:12am
post #1 of 15

Hi-

I hope to have an order for cupcakes for a 75 person wedding on March 14. Problem is, I have no stand.

I've searched the web, and found some that hold that many (like on GSA) and they are around $200 or so....not sure if they are adjustable....can I remove a tier?)

I did see one plastic one (clear crystal look) for $75.

I need some advice on the best one to purchase. I have been passed up for cupcake orders before because of the lack of pictures on my website of cupcake displays, so I'd like to have something that looks nice but won't break my budget or my brides (they have to pay a deposit to cover it).

If any of you have one they love, is preferable adjustable both up and down for different size weddings, and won't break my bank, I'd love a pointer in the right direction!

TIA!

14 replies
LadyG33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyG33 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 15
melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 15

if you're not in the market to spend a ton of money upfront, you can use this tutorial to make a really nice custom designed one to match the needs of the event http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-a-cake-stand-for-cupcakes-or-mini-cakes

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 15

http://www.cakejournal.com/flickr/album/72157605936279965/Cupcake-stands-.html

Have you seen the homemadeones on cake joural? Some of them are pretty cheesy, but some are absolutely gorgeous...they can be customized to match the wedding decor or cake. instructions are on there too!

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 15

http://www.how2cakes.com/cupcakestand.html shows you how to make one - I've seen these covered in fabric or paper to match the cake design and they look fantastic, very classy.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 15

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Tier-CupCake-Food-Cake-Party-ADJUSTABLE-Stand-Wedding_W0QQitemZ270336420879QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWedding_Party_Supplies?hash=item270336420879&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50

Whoa long link... I have this one though.. it's very reasonable and you can see it in my photos filled with cupcakes. It's metal and if you line it with paper doiles it's very nice looking. Check out eBay though... there's a bunch of stuff there.

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:51pm
post #7 of 15

They have lots of different ones on ebay, I would check there.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:03pm
post #8 of 15

DH & I made one for a large wedding I had this past summer. We went to Home Depot, bought some 3/4" cabinet grade plywood, some white enamel paint, some 6" table legs, and made our own. I can remove tiers or add others, change table leg sizes, (taller/shorter, they screw right into the bottoms of the tiers) and it cost about $75. I can change the ribbon to match the event theme colors.

I do believe there is a picture of it in my photos, if you want more info, PM me and I'll send you details.

Good Luck.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:18pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks, everybody!

Those all look great. My question....for your first stand: do you just buy what you need for that order, and worry about expanding for bigger jobs later?

I guess I don't want to buy something that hold 120 cupcakes and then not be able to adjust it upwards if I get an order for 200 cupcakes. But I don't really want to spend 200 dollars.

My DH is a little intimidated by the thought of making one, even though he cuts my cake boards for me all the time. icon_confused.gif

Mommicakes, if you are willing to share the particulars of your stand, I'd love the help. It looks really wonderful in your pictures. Otherwise, I'm probably going to make one out of dummies for now.

Thanks everyone!

aa053103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aa053103 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:35am
post #10 of 15

I've done mine always. I have my square one that is really big and bulky and I've done the other ones with the cake boards and dummies. But I wanted to get something nicer. I've been researching and looking around for the clear acrylic kind and I couldn't find anyone that was cheap enough. I just didn't want to fork over $250+ for a cupcake stand. I recently bought one on ebay and I should be getting it next week. The stand cost me less than $40 but I had to pay alot of shipping since it's coming from the UK. It was less than $110. The stand is adjustable (that was another thing I wanted to make sure before I placed a bid). Here's the link to the ebay store. Hope this helps.

http://stores.ebay.com/Cakestandz

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 8:39pm
post #11 of 15

Anyone ever use/buy this Wilton one..6 tiers and u can mix the sizes..made from plastic...
LL

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:00pm
post #12 of 15

Sugardevine, I have used this one before, but, I really didn't like the way it looked. That is why DH & I made the other one. If you want to use different sizes, then you have to not glue the feet on the largest bottom tier. To make sure that it is stable, you need to glue the feet on. I bought a second 12" tier and extra feet just in case I wanted to make it smaller than the full 6 tiers. There are at least 2 different sizes of the separator column pieces that you can use to adjust the height between tiers.

Just my opinion I didn't really like how it looked even full of cupcakes.

donna

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:39pm
post #13 of 15

I have this one. After awhile the white starts to get dingy and starts to turn yellow. It isn't the prettiest cupcake stand either. I personally like the acrylic ones, they sell them on ebay for a good price. They also have pretty metal ones. HTH

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:46pm
post #14 of 15

i dont have that wilton stand, but just my opinion...i dont like how each tier isnt level- cupcakes around the edge lean inward and i think that makes it look unproffesional..

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:52am
post #15 of 15

ok Wilton stand not the best choice... I'm in Toronto Canada there must be somthin' else around here similar but better quality.. I did find someone who make beautiful stands But I have yet to call.....more then likly they will cost an arm and a leg icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%