What Would You Do???

Decorating By meganmo27 Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 8:33pm by meganmo27

meganmo27 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 12:20am
post #1 of 9

I offered to make a cake for a dinner dance for my old MOPS group with the understanding that they could reimburse me for supplies. The cake would be 3 tiers, to serve 80 people with supply fee of around $60. Mainly because I need to buy some more fondant and gumpaste. So today I get an email from my contact person saying that could I make the cake smaller for less? Honestly??!! It really upset me and I feel like just telling them that I can't do the cake for them. Am I being unreasonable? What would y'all do?

8 replies
Karema Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:38am
post #2 of 9

You can either do two things.

1. Figure out cost of fondant and gumpast to make that cake because I'm sure it wont take a whole thing of fondant to make just that one. You cant expect customers to pay for the whole order of fondant because you ran out. That may bring cost down. You could always use it on other orders.

2. Tell them unfortunatly you cant do a cake at cost because you just dont have the time or money to buy the extra supplies that are needed right now.

It's really up to you. Supplies really shouldnt cost 60 unless you are baking from scratch and they have a recipe that cost a lot of money. Maybe you can use buttercream instead of fondant it will be cheaper. Good luck.

BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:48am
post #3 of 9

Unless they want potluck-style desserts (not too classy for a dinner dance icon_eek.gif ), they can't get anything for less than $1/person.

Of course you can make the cake "smaller, for less", but that means that not everyone will get a piece of it. Ask them how much they want to spend and then give them the # of servings that amount will cover. If they have $30 to spend, then they get 40 servings (if you stick with the current ratios).

Rae

Carolynlovescake Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Of course you can make the cake "smaller, for less", but that means that not everyone will get a piece of it. Ask them how much they want to spend and then give them the # of servings that amount will cover. If they have $30 to spend, then they get 40 servings (if you stick with the current ratios).

When asked if I can do a smaller cake for less in a situation like this my reply back to them is "And if I reduce the size that means not everyone would be getting a piece of cake, so how would you like to address who gets a piece and who doesn't?"

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

When asked if I can do a smaller cake for less in a situation like this my reply back to them is "And if I reduce the size that means not everyone would be getting a piece of cake, so how would you like to address who gets a piece and who doesn't?"

Yep. works everytime. I used to have a wedding cake package that included plates, forks, punch, cups, mints, napkins, linens, etc. Then I had a price for "cake only". One bride wanted to buy the package for 100 guests, then buy "cake only" for 50. I said, "Sure! Just let me know which guests get their cake on a plate and their punch in a cup, and which guests get their cake on their hand and get to drink from the water fountain." (smile sweetly ... give bride time to feel like a total a$$). She lowered her eyes and said, "Oh .... I see."

To the OP ..... What you do is point out that an 80-serving cake normally sells for $240-$300 (using around $3+ per serving for a tiered cake), and you really can't go much less than $60-$65 for the cake, so if they can't afford that, then maybe it's best if they find another baker. Then walk away. Just turn around and walk away.

shannon100 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 9

I don't think you should cancel your offer just because they want something cheaper, especially since you offered it in the first place! I think you should rethink the design. Maybe a sheet cake would be better for them. You offered, but maybe they realized that they can't afford your offer. I know with my old MOPS group, money was limited, and $60 would be a lot for cake supplies. I don't think they are trying to take advantage of you. Did you come up with the design, or did they? I think you should work together to come up with a more cost-effective design that they can afford so they can take you up on your generous offer of free labor. There's always a way to cut costs somewhere, isn't there?

meganmo27 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 9

They actually approached me with the request of a cake. I was thrilled! I do understand that money is limited with MOPS however I do know that we have plenty of money in the budget based on the fundraiser this past semester (profit of 10K). That being said, you're right I wouldn't have to charge them for all of the fondant or gumpaste but I was balancing that out with eating the cost for other supplies and shipping.
I did end up referring them to a local grocery store that has wonderful cakes that are really pretty for a lot cheaper.
Thanks for the opinions and advice icon_biggrin.gif

shannon100 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for clarifying. Now that I know they asked you (not you offering, as it seemed from your first post), I think you are right in referring them to another source. Sorry if I came across as harsh. I just thought you were upset that they couldn't afford your offer. Now it seems like they were trying to take advantage of you. Of course, they are probably "cake civilians" and don't understand all the cost with caking.

10K? Wow! That's a lot of money! We weren't even allowed to do fundraisers for our MOPS group. (We were overseas.)

meganmo27 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 9

No problem. Yeah, I was kind of disappointed that they didn't want to really pay me. It was going to be sooo cute too:-} Hollywood theme.
We do a consignment sale, fall and spring, and it has grown tremendously since the first sale. We had approximately 800 shoppers this past fall. It's amazing! We actually donate a percent to our Teen MOPS group as well and use most of the money to reduce registration and child care costs. So it's definitely worth it.
Thanks for your advice. You didn't come across as harsh at all icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%