How Do I Make This????

Decorating By rhopar33 Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 1:05pm by rhopar33

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 8

I have a client asking for this cake (see pic) and I have a couple of questions:

1) For the stand up sides, should I add gumtex to the fondant and roll it and let it sit for a week or so it will get firm, or what sshould I use for the sides?

2) What do you recommend using to cut the cut-out design around the top of the sides?

3)For the turrets- what can I use to attach them to the side of the cake and the cake board so that they don't wobble and tumble around?

Any help you can provide is truly appreciated?

Thanks,
Rhonda
LL

7 replies
bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 8

I would use a cardboard forms for the stand up sides (something like paper towel rolls) and then just cover them in fondant. I had a client bring me the Disney castle cake set and ask me to make the cake to go with it and the kit used plastic for the columns and turrets. (I personally hated the kit and wish she would have let me make the entire thing but that is what her 3 year old wanted.)

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 8

tubes from plastic wrap for the towers, cover with fondant, if you want to remove the tubes cover them well with corn starch and make sure you can move the tubes so you can remove them when the towers are dry. I would leave them in myself, and tell your customer they are not edible. The sides I would probably make with a mixture of gum paste and fondant, just to hurry up the drying time. Then frost the cake in buttercream, and attach the sides and top. For the top of the sides, FMM has a set of cutters that might work, check Global Sugar art out, They cost $12 to $13 dollars. HTH

rhopar33 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the quick replies. How would you attach the turrets to the side of the cake and to the cake board so they don't fall over?

rhopar33 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:27am
post #5 of 8

Any body have suggestions for the best way to attach the turrets to the side of the cake?

prcutie71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prcutie71 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:55am
post #6 of 8

To attach everything I would use royal icing...

MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 8

use royal icing to attach the turretts

rhopar33 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:05pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%