Antonia's Icing--How Much Red Coloring....

Baking By yummyhobby Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 10:09pm by DsLady614

yummyhobby Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 9

does it take for you to achieve the primary super red color? The color I have is CakeCraft Super Chinese Red, which the lady at my cake supply store, should give me the red that I want. Does anyone have any experience with this color?

Is there something I am missing? Do I just need to let it sit longer, and then go back to it? Or do I need to add more color? I put quite a bit, but I wanted to make sure you guys are not using like almost a whole container of coloring or something.

TIA!! I know I asked a lot of questions, it's just so frustrating. icon_evil.gif I have never been able to get red in butter cream, or any icing for that matter!

8 replies
antonia74 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 9

I'm assuming that you are trying to tint a pretty large batch of buttercream?

Save yourself the huge headache of trying to dye bright/dark colours with those jars of paste and switch to Americolor brand colours. They are much, much more powerful for those shades like black, brown, purple, navy blue and red....and they have no aftertaste.

You can keep your jarred pastes for much easier tinting like pastels, etc. They work well for those. thumbs_up.gif

dhccster Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 12:29pm
post #3 of 9

I am interested in changing to Americolors, too. Where do you order them from?

TracyLH Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 9

Just to throw in my two cents worth - when doing red, start with pink and then add your red. Let it sit overnight for the color to intensify. I like Americolor Super Red. Luckily our local cake dec. store carries it.

antonia74 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 9
Originally Posted by hsterling

I am interested in changing to Americolors, too. Where do you order them from?

Here's their website. Call them and ask about local suppliers in your area, or you can order them online on most large cake supply websites out there now.

aggiechef Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 9

I'm in the process of switching all of my colors to Amiercolor. They really work so much better than the Wilton ones that I've been using, plus the squeeze bottles don't get your fingers all yucky.
Here are the 2 websites that I order mine from when I'm too lazy to go to the local cake supply shop. LOL...

dhccster Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you aggiechef and antonia74. I am going to these websites now. We are living overseas right now..... so I don't have a local cake supply shop. icon_cry.gif

This site is just so awesome!!

aggiechef Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 9

also, TracyLH is right about starting with pink before adding red color...this helps with not having to add so much color....

DsLady614 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:09pm
post #9 of 9

Ok... if you're living overseas... do NOT try ordering from Into the Oven! I tried to buy two cake pans from them once and they tried to charge me $100 for shipping! And they were SERIOUSLY not interested in working with me.

Another option is Country Kitchen Sweet Art.

I have worked with them a couple times and I'll tell you, they were excellent to work with not living in the US. I will likely continue to buy from them even after we return to the states.

I'm going to chime in in favor of Americolor Super Red as well. It sure doesn't take a whole bottle. I start with a few drops at a time. When I get a darkish pink, I stop and let it sit. Then I'll take a little out, and let it set up in the air to see what color is gets. If needed, then I'll adjust a little bit more. You'll find, the less color you use, the less likely it is that the colors will bleed together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%