Domain .com Taken--What About .net?

Business By lhayes1976 Updated 21 Nov 2013 , 11:53am by reema143

lhayes1976 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 22

The domain I want is already taken, but the same name with .net or .org is available. What do you guys think? Should I think of something different?

21 replies
leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 22

Let's hear the name first.

cakesdivine Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 22

I had an incident where during my divorce 6 years ago I inadvertantly let my domain name lapse. When I remembered and went to pay for it again, someone had already purchased it. A domain name broker now owns that domain name and is wanting $500 for it...Well since my original domain was cakesdivine.com I just added a hyphen so now it is www.cakes-divine.com If your domain that you want is 2 words or three you could do either an underscore or a hyphen between the words, then .com

I know that .com is a better domain name than .net or .biz or .org. Also, if you do a .org people might assume you are a non-profit which could open a can of worms you don't want to deal with...LOL!

leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 22

Yes, that is sort of where I was heading too. One of my business names was taken, so I added "the" in front of it. Really, you should get a .com if at all possible.

weirkd Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 22

I had the same problem and went with .net and have no problems with it. Eventually you have to think someone somewhere is going to think of the same name at one point or another. Just make sure you pring out on your business cards and any other type of promotional material so that people know. I was lucky that the person that had my .com name was into just doing chocolate so it really was easy for my customers to figure out if they typed the wrong name or not!

teswade Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 22

A .com name is the way to go in my opinion. I can't tell you how many times I have typed in an address and automatically put .com behind it without looking only to realize that it is not the website I want. I am a real estate agent and when I was getting my domain name, the first few .com names I wanted were taken. I kept trying until I found a good name with a .com. If you are both making cakes, I would hate for someone to want to order from you, but make the mistake of ordering from the baker with the .com becuase that is where they ended up.

justducky Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 22

Try to stay with the .com. I have a few registered domain names. I had a person do the .net on the same name. Good for my site traffic!!

teswade Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:27pm
post #8 of 22

One little tip that I forgot to mention is to link your site to multiple others like facebook, myspace, linked in, etc. If your site is linked to those sites and you have your web address in your profiles on those sites, your raking on search engines goes up dramatically. The more sites you are linked to, the more all around hits the search engines think you have and they will consider you more important. I tried it with my own business (not baking related) and I am all over the first page of google. Before I did this I was no where near page 1. Try it!

lhayes1976 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:00pm
post #9 of 22

I want to sell cupcakes from mobile truck. I want the name Cupcakes A Go Go. Here's the name that's aready taken:
www.cupcakesago-go.com. This one is still available: www.cupcakes-a-go-go.com. I worried about all the dashes in it though.

leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:16pm
post #10 of 22

agogocupcakes is available.

cakesdivine Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:17pm
post #11 of 22

Try dropping all the dashes! www.cupcakesagogo.com see what happens. you don't need the dashes and most people will assume that when entering a name as a www. they won't do anything except the letters. You might end up with much more traffic because the other site has a dash.

leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:18pm
post #12 of 22

without dashes is taken.

2gocupcakes is available.

leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:19pm
post #13 of 22

cupcakesonthemove is available

leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:20pm
post #14 of 22

cupcaketruckin is available

"keep on truckin with a cupcake"

leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:22pm
post #15 of 22

Gocupcakego is available.

Use a cheerleader as your logo. "Go Cupcake, GO!"

That's my favorite.

Kpow Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:24pm
post #16 of 22

I agree with Cakesdivine...no dashes will probably get you the most hits. And what a cute name!

And I just have to add that you are living my own personal little dream! Ever since I saw the Cupcake Truck in New Haven, CT, I have been fantasizing about having one of my own. I think it is the most wonderful idea. Good luck and let us know how things go with the truck in Louisville!

FromScratch Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:34pm
post #17 of 22

cupcakesagogo.com is just sitting there parked. Maybe you could contact the owner of the domain and see if you could buy it off of them? Worth a shot anyway.

lhayes1976 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:45pm
post #18 of 22

How do I contact someone about their "parked" domain name?

leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:55pm
post #19 of 22

It's owned by a group in AZ that buys of catchy names and tries to sell them. It will likely cost as much as your truck to get the name.

I didn't even notice that you were in Louisville.

Just FYI, there are some new Food Service rules soon to be implemented regarding mobile food trucks. You should check in to the licensing issues. I just saw the heading but didn't check into it any further since I don't do mobile.

FromScratch Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 11:05pm
post #20 of 22

Actually Domains By Proxy is a place that allows you to purchase a domain name and not have your info public. When you buy a domain all of your personal info (name, home address, and phone number) is listed in the Who Is section by law. Some people don't like to have that so they use a service like the one named to keep it private.

I'm not sure how you would go about contacting the owner, but contacting Domains By Proxy would be a start. you can e-mail cupcakesagogo.com@ domainsbyproxy.com (less the space) and see what the next step would be. It could cost a few hundred dollars to get the name.. maybe more, but if you don't ask you'll never know. icon_biggrin.gif

reema143 Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 11:52am
post #21 of 22

Many people believe that the .com domain is the only domain worth purchasing because that's the one that most people assume when typing in domains. While it's true that .com domains are very popular. There are several reasons why internet users prefer to buy .com domains. As per reports, most visitors would point their browsers to a .com extension by default. This is an expectation that has been created by virtue of its popularity. So even if a person knows the domain but not extension, he will mostly try with .com first. A common perception is that the .com domain seems more professional and relevant than others.  The world’s leading information search engine, Google, gives a high priority to the .com extension in a domain name. Individuals or companies who buy domain name with .com extension are likely to get best results through the process of Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)there are lots of businesses which use other top-level domains without a problem.If they are going to type in your company name into the URL bar and hit enter, then getting the .com domain is a must. But if you can brand your site with the .net or .org and get people used to using that, it won't matter.If you want a new domain name with .com TLD ,check it availablity and register it with a good domain registrar like Tucktail.com .

reema143 Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 11:53am
post #22 of 22

Many people believe that the .com domain is the only domain worth purchasing because that's the one that most people assume when typing in domains. While it's true that .com domains are very popular. There are several reasons why internet users prefer to buy .com domains. As per reports, most visitors would point their browsers to a .com extension by default. This is an expectation that has been created by virtue of its popularity. So even if a person knows the domain but not extension, he will mostly try with .com first. A common perception is that the .com domain seems more professional and relevant than others.  The world’s leading information search engine, Google, gives a high priority to the .com extension in a domain name. Individuals or companies who buy domain name with .com extension are likely to get best results through the process of Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)there are lots of businesses which use other top-level domains without a problem.If they are going to type in your company name into the URL bar and hit enter, then getting the .com domain is a must. But if you can brand your site with the .net or .org and get people used to using that, it won't matter.If you want a new domain name with .com TLD ,check it availablity and register it with a good domain registrar like Tucktail.com .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%