Cake Flavor Suggestions

Decorating By JennT Updated 17 Aug 2005 , 9:51pm by abbey

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 4:26am
post #1 of 15

Ok - I have this infamous motorcycle cake due on Saturday. The wife had not called me back to let me know what kind/flavor cake to do - it's her DH 30th surprise party. So after about 4 days of phone tag, today I get ahold of her & she says, "Well, he doesn't really care for anything chocolate (?????) so just a plain cake is fine." I say, "Ok- should I do just a butter cake or would you like a little flavor to it such as lemon, or any citrus, or almond, etc.? And would you like a filling...anything other than choc., such as pastry cream, flavored pastry cream, fruit-raspberry, strawberry?" She says, "He really doesn't care about all of that...just put icing in there if you want to do a filling, but you don't have to if you don't feel like it." uuugggghhhhh icon_mad.gif

I'm thinking to myself that - ok, this is gonna be an easy cake as far as the cake itself goes...nothing fancy here...but it definitely is going to be a boring tasting cake. Just plain cake, with plain icing. That's just not in me!!! lol icon_razz.gif IT'S CAKE!!! YOU SHOULD HAVE FUN WITH IT!!! lol Here's my concern: there will be alot of people here who are potential customers, so I don't want to plop just anything out there that's no big deal taste wise. But I don't want to do something that the bday guy & his family especially won't care for......so what do I do? How do I flavor my cake batter so that it's really tasty, but not over the top? Same with the icing. Since I can't get a "kick" in there with a great filling, the flavor needs to be something that they will remember as being really yummy!!

One good thing: I'll be getting experience with more decorating which I really need. I've got the motorcycle pan (which should arrive tomorrow - I pray!) and it's got the instructions, easy enough - but I'm going to paint with luster dusts, which I've never used before....I'm excited!!

Any advice on the flavor(s) of the cake/icing would be appreciated!
TIA- icon_biggrin.gif

14 replies
tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 4:37am
post #2 of 15

Some of the best results have been when I have used buttercream as the filling. I know, boring, but to a lot of people it's what they were raised with so it's familiar and comforting=>happy customer => more orders=>Hooray!!!

Perhaps a lovely French Vanilla cake with a creamy vanilla buttercream? Mmmm, makin' myself hungry.......

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 4:40am
post #3 of 15

I agree, French Vanilla and creamy buttercream.. A killer combination.

JennT Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 4:44am
post #4 of 15

Ok - sounds good to me too! You both are WAY more experienced than I am, so I will take your recommendations! lol icon_biggrin.gif BTW - when you say buttercream, do you mean a REAL bc? As in no crisco?

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 4:50am
post #5 of 15

Do what the customers wants. That's the only way to go. I wouldn't add anything other then vanilla or butter flavoring to your cake/icing. That cake will be an easy one. Enjoy the easy ones while you can because the next one might not be so easy~ icon_smile.gif

JennT Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 4:55am
post #6 of 15

I know, I know, tc!! lol I do want to please them, but I just want to make sure it's good too. I want them to have my cake and eat it (& love it!) too!!! lol icon_lol.gif And then tell others!

tripletmom Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 5:00am
post #7 of 15

Now that is a loaded question! There have been multiple posts regarding this issue.....however, in my very humble opinion, it is whatever works for you. Personally I use the 1/2 butter, 1/2 crisco method. Actually, today it was 1/4 butter, 1/4 margarine, 1/2 butter to 2 lbs icing sugar (confectioners sugar) and it turned out AWESOME! I let the shortening/butter mixture get fluffy in my mixer, then I add the flavourings, then the sugar (half of the bag to start, let it get smooth and then the other half), then, and I believe this is what really makes the difference, heavy cream. Milk works well, others will say water, however I am REALLY happy with the cream. It makes the buttercream very fluffy. Oh yes, and I always add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to cut down on the sweetness.

It pipes very well, crusts beautifully and tastes very nice as well.

Hope this helps!('thumbs_up.gif')

JennT Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 5:04am
post #8 of 15

Oh, I know...I was in on that one too! lol I generally use the 1/2 butter, 1/2 crisco too because it's so hot & humid down here...can't get away with a "pure" bc. Just wanted to make sure I was on the same page!

I searched the recipes here, but came up empty for a French Vanilla cake recipe. Do you or anyone else happen to have one you wouldn't mind sharing? TIA - icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 5:09am
post #9 of 15

LOL!! They will have it & eat it~ LOL!! Sorry if I sounded like I was scolding you icon_smile.gif Some people just don't love the different flavors in their cakes. Unlike me!! I love nearly every flavor except peaches & apricots!! No way will I touch those 2!!

tripletmom Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 5:13am
post #10 of 15

Duncan Hines makes a really nice one however I'm not sure if it would be the same as what you would get there in the States. I have started using a recipe that Naty posted for an absolutely INCREDIBLE yellow cake. I have made it many times and it is always a hit. Just be sure to use some parchment paper to line your pans with. It's really easy and I think it's my favourite cake now.

Here is the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-4983-.html

To make this one over the top I also lightly brush it with a nice vanilla simple syrup....yet another discusion on here!

I'm gonna have to make one of these tomorrow, just sounds too good!

JennT Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 5:14am
post #11 of 15

No worries, tc! icon_biggrin.gif Didn't take it as scolding as all...just the more experienced nudging me in the right direction!! lol I need that sometimes because I'm a little fearless when it comes to baking...I'll mix anything with anything at least once just to see if it works!! lol icon_lol.gif Thanks for the nudge! icon_razz.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 5:20am
post #12 of 15

I don't know about more experience... I make a yellow sour cream cake (from Cake Mix Dr.) that I have tweeked to perfection & that's what everyone orders. I haven't made many other flavor cakes because of that one recipe! Darn it! LOL! I do make a few different chocolate & strawberry cakes. But so far the yellow cake I make it pretty much it, even for wedding cakes. It's great for stacking!

JennT Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 5:37am
post #13 of 15

Thanks, tripletmom, I'll have to try that one tomorrow. I found this other one on a thread here, looks like a good one:

1box DH French Vanilla cake mix
1cup vegetable oil
1cup milk
4 eggs
1 small box instant pudding, French Vanilla

Mix together everything except the pudding for 2 minutes, then mix in the pudding. Bake a 325 for 1 hr. (probably have to tweak that temp/time)

TC - I've GOT to get that Cake Mix Dr. book!! ebay, here I come!!! lol

Thanks ladies!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 5:42am
post #14 of 15

You'll love it!! Mine has oil, powder sugar & choc stains all over it!! LOL!! Good night ladies!! I'm heading to bed!

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 9:51pm
post #15 of 15

Hey TC when you tweak that cake mix doctor recipe did you change it or has it just become your signature cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%