Right Way To Use Luster Dust?

Decorating By ss4him Updated 13 Jun 2014 , 9:52am by Mamabakes3

ss4him Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ss4him Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 10

I've tried painting it one with lemon extract, but it came out streaky and didn't look right. Is there a better way?

Thanks!

9 replies
cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 10

i have asked this question a zillion times on here and none of the responses have worked for me. Doing it dry doesn't produce metallic or deep hue results and diluting with vodka ever so gently leaves it streaky for me too. What is the answer. I want it to look like thick paint with pigment, richness and full coverage as I have seen done on TV like ace of cakes or in books like peggy porchens tea cups that have gold handles. I follow the directions and still not the same results...anyone out there know the trick????

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 10

The answer is to get just the right mix of dust to alcohols.
Look at your label on the extract. What % of alcohol does it have? The higher the # the better. That's why vodka or EverClear is recommended. If your painting is streaked you have too much vodka; let it sit for 2-5 minutes & try again. It evaporates fast. If it is too dry add just *ONE DROP* of vodka more. Using an eye dropper is very helpful.

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 10

I will try this again. I guess if this is the only answer it does have to be precise because I swear I am doing it that exact way and it's not working for me. Thanks for the input kakeladi...hopefully this will work

klutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutz Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:16am
post #5 of 10

I have been wondering the same thing for a year now, and accidentally got the same answer the other day. I just got lucky and got the right ratio finally. Now that I know what the consistency looks like, i think i can get it again. Just keep trying 'till you get it right. Oh...and i'm sure you know this, but...a nice soft brush with very gentle strokes. The brush really matters.

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:17am
post #6 of 10

Thanks for answering that question, I thought that I just sucked at it! Now I know!

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:16am
post #7 of 10

They only way that works for me is by mixing it with confectioners glaze.

Confectioners glaze evaporates quite quickly so you have to work fast with the brush in order to avoid brush stroke marks.

A second coat helps too but wait until the first is dry.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:00am
post #8 of 10

Confectioner's glaze is for me too! icon_biggrin.gif

kathy213 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy213 Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 5:15pm
post #9 of 10

What is Confectioner's glaze? Also, do you have to wait to paint your fondant until it has totally dies or can you work on it as it is drying?

Mamabakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamabakes3 Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 9:52am
post #10 of 10

AI just painted on still-drying fondant and it seemed to work okay. It was for a wood floor effect. I used pure lemon extract , which was 83% alcohol. I am in recovery, so I want to avoid having a bottle of Everclear in my house. Lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%